Connolly: Just swing the damn bat Davis!

Tony-OH

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good piece here by Dan Connolly on Baltimore Baseball.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/05/25/looking-deeper-davis-strikeouts-looking/

For the life of me I don't see how anyone with his kind of power takes as many strike threes and honestly as many 3-1 pitches that are perfect strikes. What do you think?

He clearly needs to be a bit more aggressive with two strikes.    It seems at times like he's having trouble reading the pitches and simply takes too long to commit to a swing.   

Of course, if 15 of his looking strikeouts were swinging strikeouts instead, we'd probably be complaining that he was too aggressive.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He clearly needs to be a bit more aggressive with two strikes.    It seems at times like he's having trouble reading the pitches and simply takes too long to commit to a swing.   

Of course, if 15 of his looking strikeouts were swinging strikeouts instead, we'd probably be complaining that he was too aggressive.    

Not if he were swinging at strikes or borderline strikes.

At least for most of us.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not if he were swinging at strikes or borderline strikes.

At least for most of us.

I agree with you in principle.    In reality, there have always been a lot of posters fixated on how often Davis strikes out, regardless of how he does it.    

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Good piece here by Dan Connolly on Baltimore Baseball.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/05/25/looking-deeper-davis-strikeouts-looking/

For the life of me I don't see how anyone with his kind of power takes as many strike threes and honestly as many 3-1 pitches that are perfect strikes. What do you think?

A power hitter dreams of a 3-1 fastball with two on and two out. And Davis took it. Mind-boggling.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Sometimes like yesterday the issue is letting the count get to 3-2. I don't get not sitting on a fastball 3-1 and ripping it.  

20 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

A power hitter dreams of a 3-1 fastball with two on and two out. And Davis took it. Mind-boggling.

Honestly, out of that whole at bat, that's the one that gets me. That's just a bad approach if you ask me. If he throws a 3-1 curveball and you swing over it, tip your cap, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a power hitter, a guy paid to drive in runs, take a 3-1 fastball in the middle of the plate with the tie run on 2nd base.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, out of that whole at bat, that's the one that gets me. That's just a bad approach if you ask me. If he throws a 3-1 curveball and you swing over it, tip your cap, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a power hitter, a guy paid to drive in runs, take a 3-1 fastball in the middle of the plate with the tie run on 2nd base.

He ain't no Eddie Murray or Frank Robby, that's for sure. 

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

He ain't no Eddie Murray or Frank Robby, that's for sure. 

Not many are.    Davis is more comparable to a Boog Powell or Lee May, who also were very streaky power hitters who could carry a team when they were hot and be virtually worthless at other times.   

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Davis is one of those guys that is just a "compiler."  At the end of the year the numbers are there, but you really don't want him up in a big spot.  

On a side note, Lefty Relievers have been murder to us late in games.  It takes away Smith completely and then we have to watch Davis K.  

Archived