Connolly: Just swing the damn bat Davis!

Tony-OH

On 9/14/2017 at 9:26 AM, Tony-OH said:

With that contract, I think I'd be stuck with him with this ownership so it wouldn't matter. Saying that, I would constantly try to move him and see what the least amount of money I'd have to eat for someone to take him.

Trade him for David Price. Red Sox would actually save money. O's would actually get a pitcher (when he's capable of playing).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final tally: Davis struck out looking 75 times this year, which fell just short of the record he set last year at 78.     Of course, he had 146 fewer plate appearances this year, and would have crushed last year's record if he'd played more.   Last year he struck out looking once every 8.6 plate appearances; this year it was once every 7.0 plate appearances.   He also struck out swinging once every 4.4 PA, compared to once every 4.8 PA last year.

Davis swung at pitches in the strike zone only 60% of the time, compared to 64% last year and about 75% of the time in his good seasons.    

On 9/18/2017 at 8:57 AM, Frobby said:

Norman Chad has a nationally syndicated weekly sport column in the Washington Post with a humorous bent, that always ends with humorous questions from his readers.    This week:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/golf/who-is-the-most-dominant-athlete-in-his-game-over-the-last-decade/2017/09/17/a3506fde-9bc5-11e7-8ea1-ed975285475e_story.html?utm_term=.87e2287a90a9

Great line by Chad - who was a school-mate of mine at MD and ran for Student Government President at least twice when I was there under the Anarchy Party. 

The good thing is that Davis understands he has issues and wants very much to fix them.  Bad thing is - there's basically zero chance he'll get traded.    

2 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I'd love for him to talk to Rafael Palmerio for swing help. That guy was a beast and had a similar swing to Davis. 

Palmeiro had a smooth and easy swing, pretty to watch and about the furthest you could get from the swing of Davis. He could hit to all fields and later in his career he hit for power. His swing path was to the ball. Davis has one plane he swings the bat through and he doesn't adjust that depending on where he's pitched. 

On 9/18/2017 at 6:01 AM, mdbdotcom said:

Trade him for David Price. Red Sox would actually save money. O's would actually get a pitcher (when he's capable of playing).

I've thought of that idea too, but figured it was too crazy to mention.  If the Red Sox would send cash to bring their salaries closer to equal, I think it would be a good move.  Price seems to be one of those players who does poorly in a high pressure media environment like Boston.  Even Randy Johnson couldn't handle playing in New York.

8 hours ago, interloper said:

I hope Davis is considering altering his swing or something this offseason. He's out of excuses and he needs to change something.

I remember reading an ESPN article in Davis's career year, 2013.  The article emphasized how Davis had changed his swing to be shorter and more compact. 

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Palmeiro had a smooth and easy swing, pretty to watch and about the furthest you could get from the swing of Davis. He could hit to all fields and later in his career he hit for power. His swing path was to the ball. Davis has one plane he swings the bat through and he doesn't adjust that depending on where he's pitched. 

Cough, cough, cough. Excuse me my stanozolol went down the wrong pipe. Umm, I mean B12. Yeah, yeah, B12.  

So in this Mornings  Roch article, Chris Davis is advocating for Coolbaugh and the infield coach to Beverly retained. He points out 8 guys hitting 20 homers as a point of achievement.

Chris ....You sucked major butt this year. The best way to advocate for anyone is by not saying anything. Your 20+ million salary was a complete waste of money.

Who cares if 8 guys hit 20 home runs. The offense didn't manufacture runs, had a very low OBP, too many Ks, and you were the biggest culprit. If it weren't for the albatross of a contract that Angelos' so foolishly bid against himself to give you the DFA designation would be in front of your name.

Hire a psychiatrist, and a off season hitting coach to try to get back to the player you were before you signed that contract. Maybe then will you have some credibility when advocating for a hitting coach.

Sorry for the rant! 

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/10/davis-wants-entire-coaching-staff-to-return-in-2018.html

Honestly, good for him for sticking up for the coaches.    I agree in some ways he's not the best spokesman, but at least he's put the blame for his poor season on his own shoulders and not trying to lay it off on the coaches.    

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, good for him for sticking up for the coaches.    I agree in some ways he's not the best spokesman, but at least he's put the blame for his poor season on his own shoulders and not trying to lay it off on the coaches.    

Given that we know he's not going anywhere with that contract, the best we can hope for is that Davis takes a long, hard look at himself this offseason and comes back next spring hungry and determined to turn himself around.

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

Given that we know he's not going anywhere with that contract, the best we can hope for is that Davis takes a long, hard look at himself this offseason and comes back next spring hungry and determined to turn himself around.

The best we can hope for is that he gets his next PEDS violation, and we get to remove him from the 25 man and get a year of his salary back to spend.

Archived