Connolly: Just swing the damn bat Davis!

Tony-OH

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Davis is one of those guys that is just a "compiler."  At the end of the year the numbers are there, but you really don't want him up in a big spot.  

It depends entirely on whether he's hot or cold.   When he's hitting well, I'm more than happy to see him in a big spot.  Last year he was third on the team in Win Probability Added, so clearly he had plenty of meaningful hits.    And by the way, he was first in WPA in 2013, 2014 and 2015.   From 2012-17 he's first by a huge margin.  

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, out of that whole at bat, that's the one that gets me. That's just a bad approach if you ask me. If he throws a 3-1 curveball and you swing over it, tip your cap, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a power hitter, a guy paid to drive in runs, take a 3-1 fastball in the middle of the plate with the tie run on 2nd base.

Exactly. Even if you swing at the 3-1 fastball and pop it up in the infield, at least you did the correct thing and just didn't execute. Or even if you swing threw it. But to take a 3-1 fastball, that doesn't add up for me.

The only players on the team I want taking 3-1 fastballs (that are strikes) are Janish, Hardy, and Rickard.

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not if he were swinging at strikes or borderline strikes.

At least for most of us.

Yes, this. If he is swinging and missing at strikes, that is a whole different problem. But a problem much less frustrating, to me at least, than watching perfect strikes and going down looking.

3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Is it written in the Oriole Way to never swing at a 3-0 pitch ? They never do and it's almost always a cookie.

Schoop swung at a 3-0 pitch that was at his ankles during the 14-7 loss to the Twins.    It really ticked me off.

The O's have had 63 3-0 counts this year.   31 times, the next pitch was ball four.    One time, a ball was put in play and produced a run with an out.    Of the other 31 times, I have no idea how many times we swung the bat.    

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

But I'll be able to get good seats for cheap again, right?

You can't now?

I honestly don't know, judging by last year's attendance I wouldn't figure it was hard to get a good seat unless it's opening day or Maryland flag day.

• 2 months later...
Just now, O's are Legends said:

I've never seen anyone take so many fastballs right down the middle of the plate. Davis has the power to "accidentally" hit home runs and yet these frustrating at bats continue to mount. Have no idea what's going on with him but something isn't right.

He's lost in the jungle and has no idea where he's going.  Seldom in all of my 25+ years of watching baseball have I seen an everyday player (who's not over the hill) look so helpless at the plate.  The guy might as well be on a different planet.

Archived