What if...

jgjbanker

1 hour ago, Cumberbundy said:

I was hoping Tillman would be good enough to trade. We've missed a lot of value on Britton. 

Britton would need to return from the DL, be healthy and himself. If that happens his value would be intact 

In the hypothetical situation given here, sell it all.  It makes no real difference to me if the team finishes 12 games out of the playoff hunt or 24. The potential trade return for Machado (and maybe Britton) decreases exponentially if we wait until next June to move them.  As other posters have said, the absolute worst-case scenario this year, which I am praying does not happen, is this: we play so-so baseball and remain somewhat within striking distance of the Wildcard, inspiring the FO to makes a few middling trades, further depleting the minors in a half-hearted effort to remain competitive throughout the year.  If we're going to fall, I hope we fall quickly and decisively, and can at least salvage a future. 

On 5/29/2017 at 9:14 AM, weams said:

I would not care. Seven below? Blow it up. 

That may be the best thing to do. Hell start now. This team is not going to come out of the funk they are in. But the owner will never agree to it. IMO

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:51 AM, ChuckS said:

I highly doubt a complete blow-up under any circumstances due to Buck and DD's contract situation. I think we will have to be under .500 and fourth or fifth in the division for us to be sellers. 

What's real unfortunate is the value hit that players like Tillman, Britton, and Hardy have already taken. 

Machado, Brach, and Jones should be able to bring back nice packages and maybe Britton too if he comes back healthy. 

Seriously, Jones isn't worth the 17.3 million dollars he is owed next year. He has close to zero trade value

5 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

That may be the best thing to do. Hell start now. This team is not going to come out of the funk they are in. But the owner will never agree to it. IMO

If Showalter and Duquette care about the long term health of the Os they will do the right thing. If not there is going to be a lengthy down period.

On 5/29/2017 at 10:49 AM, big_sparxx said:

Does Buck and Dan (or is it Dan and Buck) have the stomach to simply "blow it up"? I think with both of their contracts uncertain, they are more likely to stand pat. I would think that for them to do that they'd sign extensions.

I don't think either makes that decision that will come from Angelos

1 minute ago, TouchemAll said:

I think either makes that decision that will come from Angelos

They will have to suggest it to Peter to get the sign off.

hopefully neither has a selfish personal interest in standing pat.

it may be time to promote Buck to GM and oust Duquette

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

They will have to suggest it to Peter to get the sign off.

hopefully neither has a selfish personal interest in standing pat.

it may be time to promote Buck to GM and oust Duquette

JMHO I don't think Angelos will sign off?

Either way I think DD is gone at the end of his contract either way.

1 minute ago, TouchemAll said:

JMHO I don't think Angelos will sign off?

Either way I think DD is gone at the end of his contract either way.

Angelos is certainly influenced by John. John will be head of the Angelos group once Peter is gone. He knows that it would be stupid to let Manny, Britton, Tillman, etc walk into free agency and lost for nothing.

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Angelos is certainly influenced by John. John will be head of the Angelos group once Peter is gone. He knows that it would be stupid to let Manny, Britton, Tillman, etc walk into free agency and lost for nothing.

From your keyboard to god' s ears.  To paraphrase.

I hope this is true.

If the O's are 7 below .500 at that time, I say blow the team up.  I don't think anyone on the current roster is untouchable and they should entertain offers that will bring prospects and young pitching help.  I feel the Oriioles owe it to Adam Jones to give him the option on whether he wants to stay and ride out his contract or pursue a chance at a championship on another team.  Everyone else - make the move if the players offered meet the goal of being back in the hunt in two years.

On 5/29/2017 at 9:41 AM, jgjbanker said:

What if it is June 30th, the Orioles are 7 games below.500, and in 4th place in the AL East.  What players are you trying move or do you hold tight and try to win again in 2018?

Conversely, it is the same date and the Orioles are 5 games over .500 and 2nd in the AL East, do you buy and what position can you realistically target?

If we are out of it you would try to deal a lot of guys, although what you could get for them is really debatable:

1) Tillman (if he isn't on the DL and done for the year by then, I suspect he will be)

2) Machado

3) Miley

4) Castillo

5) O'Day

6) Trumbo

I won't even mention Davis and Hardy beacuse I think they are probably un-dealable.

If we are contenders, the obvious things we would try to get would be a passable starting pitcher to replace Tillman/Ubaldo/Asher.   Getting a 3Bman and moving Manny to short, or a shortstop, to replace JJ.   Now with what we have to deal in our minors I don't know how likely it is, but those would be the primary needs.

Archived