O solo mio....

Frobby

Last night, 3 of the Orioles' 4 homers were solo shots.    Some people have the impression that the O's hit a disproportionate number of solo homers, but that really isn't the case.     60% of the Orioles' 80 homers have been solo shots; league-wide, the average is 57.3%.   So, we vary by two homers from the league average, which is well within the realm of random variation.    

Just by way of example of the two teams leading the league in homers, Houston is hitting 61.3% solos, while Tampa Bay is hitting 64.8% solos.

The Orioles have scored 48.9% of their runs on homers, compared to 51.8% last year.     They've scored 2.29 runs/game on non-homers, compared to 2.21 runs a game last year.    Last year 60.1% of the team's homers were solos.

So, you wanted an offense that was less reliant on homers?    You got one!     But overall, the offense is down a tick, because the team scored 2.38 runs/game on homers last year, and only 2.19 this year.

For me, I'll gladly take a more homer-reliant offense, so long as it produces more runs.     

35 minutes ago, SteveA said:

This could be the first year since 2012 that the major league home run leader does not wear an Oriole uniform.

Maybe Manny can go on a tear.

I'd rather he lead the league in doubles--and lift his batting average 70-80 points!

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Last night, 3 of the Orioles' 4 homers were solo shots.    Some people have the impression that the O's hit a disproportionate number of solo homers, but that really isn't the case.     60% of the Orioles' 80 homers have been solo shots; league-wide, the average is 57.3%.   So, we vary by two homers from the league average, which is well within the realm of random variation.    

Just by way of example of the two teams leading the league in homers, Houston is hitting 61.3% solos, while Tampa Bay is hitting 64.8% solos.

The Orioles have scored 48.9% of their runs on homers, compared to 51.8% last year.     They've scored 2.29 runs/game on non-homers, compared to 2.21 runs a game last year.    Last year 60.1% of the team's homers were solos.

So, you wanted an offense that was less reliant on homers?    You got one!     But overall, the offense is down a tick, because the team scored 2.38 runs/game on homers last year, and only 2.19 this year.

For me, I'll gladly take a more homer-reliant offense, so long as it produces more runs.     

I'll take the LONG BALL any way we can hit them.

39 minutes ago, SteveA said:

This could be the first year since 2012 that the major league home run leader does not wear an Oriole uniform.

I think it's more likely we see a steady pace from Trumbo or Davis to 40+ and see Judge waiver a little.  He still has a little unsustainability in his peripherals and that's before the league actually figure out the holes in his swing.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I think it's more likely we see a steady pace from Trumbo or Davis to 40+ and see Judge waiver a little.  He still has a little unsustainability in his peripherals and that's before the league actually figure out the holes in his swing.

I think Judge is going to slow down, sure, but he's far from the only guy in the AL hitting bombs this year. The HR is back.

44 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Davis ranks 12th in the league in homers with 13.  5 behind Judge.  When Davis gets hot 5 is a good week for him.

I really don't care if an Oriole leads the league in homers.   But I would like to see the team lead the league again, or come close.   Right now they're 5th in homers/game.    The way this team is built, we need to be closer to the top.    11 homers in 5 games in June is a good start. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

We needed every one of those home runs yesterday. So I agree. 

Archived