2017 Mega Draft Thread

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/5/2017 at 2:27 PM, Cumberbundy said:

If we can't extend him next winter we absolutely have to trade him. Our draft history is atrocious, I can't watch I lose Manny for Matt Hobgood. I'm too old. ☹️ It would be especially painful to see so much invested in Davis while we watch Manny join the Yankees with Harper. 

Just find it humorous to say that we have to trade Manny Machado, a budding superstar that we drafted, because we can't draft!

I'm pretty sure Keston Hiura isn't going to slide to 21 so I think Logan Warmoth makes a lot of sense for you guys. A nice safe bet, he could be the JJ Hardy replacement with some offensive upside. Nick Allen could also be the pick, but he's a HS kid so it'd take longer. His drawback is that he's 5'8" but has above average tools across the board. I think the absolute dream scenario for Baltimore is if the off the field stuff and dismissal from his team pushes Seth Romero down to #21. Arguably the best college lefty in the draft, he has a killer K rate and is simply too good to pass up at this point, off the field issues or not.

Baseball America just released Mock 3.0

Link

21. Orioles

Baltimore Orioles
Some scouts compare North Carolina shortstop Logan Warmoth to current Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy, and the two have overall similar profiles. If the Orioles don’t zig and go prep outfielder as some clubs believe, Warmoth makes total sense as a high-floor college performer.

Pick: Logan Warmoth, ss, North Carolina

On 5/5/2017 at 2:14 PM, ChuckS said:

May get a competitive balance pick.  

I don't see a scenario where we are trading Manny unless things fall apart this year and we don't look to be competitive next season.  

You mean a compensation pick?

4 hours ago, weams said:

David Peterson, LHP, Oregon

Not sure he gets to 21, but yeah a nice pick and probably the last of the college lefties before a noticeable drop in talent level. With that said, I'm going to be a bit surprised if they go pitcher in the 1st unless someone slips. They have shown the last two years how much better they are at evaluating bats than arms.

On 5/20/2017 at 9:56 PM, Tryptamine said:

Not sure he gets to 21, but yeah a nice pick and probably the last of the college lefties before a noticeable drop in talent level. With that said, I'm going to be a bit surprised if they go pitcher in the 1st unless someone slips. They have shown the last two years how much better they are at evaluating bats than arms.

I think there is a good chance he is there. 

On 5/10/2017 at 9:51 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree. We have 4 picks in the top 100. College pitching seems like the best bet. Over the last few drafts we've seen high school P's, Hughes and Hanifee not sign. Harvey and Fenter have needed TJ. 

Tillman and Ubaldo are FA's after this year. Miley and Britton after 2018. 

We need to add some pitching options to the system. 

Not sure about Hughes, but pretty sure Hanifee did sign last year. I believe he is in Extended Spring.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not the type of draft you want to tank a season for.

One of the reasons why doing the Astros style rebuild is risky.  We got pretty lucky are last years of being terrible and got Wieters, Machado, Gausman, and Bundy all really high.  

I hope we go college arm again with the first pick.  Then go more upside with the two 2nd rd picks.  

I don't think there are going to be any exciting college arms around at 21, maybe Peterson falls.  I love Keston Hiura, I hope the O's snag him if he makes it that far. I think there are going to be interesting college arms around for there 2nd round pick, Romero could fall, I really like Blaine Knight from Arkansas, Tristan Beck is a possibility as well.

Archived