2017 Mega Draft Thread

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I don't think there are going to be any exciting college arms around at 21, maybe Peterson falls.  I love Keston Hiura, I hope the O's snag him if he makes it that far. I think there are going to be interesting college arms around for there 2nd round pick, Romero could fall, I really like Blaine Knight from Arkansas, Tristan Beck is a possibility as well.

Love Keston Hiura as well, but from what I've read zero chance he gets past the Astros at 15. Romero maybe the top lefty in the entire class, but some don't see him going to the 2nd or 3rd because of his repeated off the field issues, though I never did hear what he actually did.  I can't imagine Tristan Beck is there by the time the Orioles pick in the 2nd round but if he is, that's a steal TJS or not.

Later...

No. 89 Tommy Mace | RHP | Sunlake (Land O’ Lakes, Fla.) High

• Initial Top 100 Ranking: NR

• Initial Top 200 Ranking: NR

• The basics: Like Lemons, Mace is a 6-6 righty who was pitching mostly in the 80s last summer, but has improved his velocity this spring, thanks in part to improved mechanics. Last summer he had a long arm action that included some wrist wrap and struggled to repeat his landing. He’s cleaned some of that up this year and his stuff has improved because of it. With Sunlake, Mace has struck out 101 batters in 77.2 innings while allowing just five earned runs. He is committed to Florida.

• Why he’s rising: “One of the best and most projectable pitching bodies in the draft, Mace has shown a better fastball of late and has held his velocity deeper into games. He has feel for a curveball and strikes, though his command could come on. The industry has loved his body and now that he’s shown better stuff, he’s moving up boards quickly.”

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/friday-five-high-school-players-rising-up-2017-mlb-draft-may-26/#oPPsptrklpkh13pu.99

On 5/26/2017 at 9:08 PM, phillyOs119 said:

I don't think there are going to be any exciting college arms around at 21, maybe Peterson falls.  I love Keston Hiura, I hope the O's snag him if he makes it that far. I think there are going to be interesting college arms around for there 2nd round pick, Romero could fall, I really like Blaine Knight from Arkansas, Tristan Beck is a possibility as well.

I'd like the Hiura pick but I don't think we're the type of organization yet that can take a guy that might need TJ right away.  

Looks like it's a down year for top talent in the 1st round.  As much as I don't like it, it might be a good year to gamble on a high upside high school bat.  We've done pretty well recently with developing Sisco and Mountcastle.  

54 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd like the Hiura pick but I don't think we're the type of organization yet that can take a guy that might need TJ right away.  

Looks like it's a down year for top talent in the 1st round.  As much as I don't like it, it might be a good year to gamble on a high upside high school bat.  We've done pretty well recently with developing Sisco and Mountcastle.  

Coffey cost them 990K.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/how-cameron-coffey-got-990000/#XA3bgeY8zdPxjS8b.97

12 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

If Austin Beck is there at 21, that would be my pick, but I don't think he makes it that far.

Most recent BA mock has him sliding all the way to the rangers at 26 because a lot of the helium is wearing off. He doesn't have any real history with wood bats and he's a relatively new commodity amongst the top guys without the long history of the others.

11 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Most recent BA mock has him sliding all the way to the rangers at 26 because a lot of the helium is wearing off. He doesn't have any real history with wood bats and he's a relatively new commodity amongst the top guys without the long history of the others.

I've also seen mocks with the Braves or Athletics considering him at 5 or 6.  This draft is lacking on prospects without warts, so much so that I'm sure someone unexpected with fall and someone will get popped much sooner than expected.  I feel like outside the top 5, the next 20 guy are fairly interchangeable.

Well if you need a statement on how this draft rates, Greene may be the 1st HS righthanded pitcher ever drafted #1 and it's not become he's some kind of phenom, though he is quite good. The best lefty in this draft likely wont go until at least the back of the 1st round if not 2nd or 3rd because of off the field issues which led to him being kicked off his team twice. McKay, which many have at #3 is likely to be drafted as a pitcher,rather than 1B, but he sits 88-92 which would be the lowest velocity of a pitcher drafted in the top 5 since the 70s. For me, there's Kyle Wright, big gap, Hunter Greene, bigger gap, then you have the Bukauskas/Lewis/Gore, then a whole mess of about 10 or more guys who could go next and all have significant warts(Pavin,Faedo,Hasely,Adell,Baez,Hiura,Beck,Kendell,White,etc)

On 5/28/2017 at 0:00 PM, birdwatcher55 said:

Draft Beck. Money in bank. Harvey is coming. Think long.

Word is that Atlanta is targetting Beck at 5.  O's pick 21st?  

Pick BPA, but O's really need a college pitcher than can be developed quickly.  

31 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Word is that Atlanta is targetting Beck at 5.  O's pick 21st?  

Pick BPA, but O's really need a college pitcher than can be developed quickly.  

At 21, I'd probably want more upside than the available polished college arms offer.  Houck is like Sedlock with more reliever risk due to a high effort delivery, and also a velocity drop.  Canning seems like the type of guy who'll dominate the low minors but struggle with better hitters. 

If Peterson falls, I'd be ok with him at 21, he'll probably move fast, and I think he's got a decent chance to reach his #3 starter upside.  With the depth of the college arms in this draft I'd rather go upside in the first round and target a college arm in the second or supplemental pick.

Edit: I think It'd be hugely fortunate if Beck falls, I'm not expecting it, but I think he has the highest upside of any bat in the draft.

10 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

If you trust your minor league system, there's JC pitcher Nate Pearson who many had going to the Cubs at 30. However, last week he touched 101mph in front of a bunch of scouts so I'm sure he's going to gain some helium.

I don't trust guys muscling up to hit 101 in front of scouts. 

11 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

If you trust your minor league system, there's JC pitcher Nate Pearson who many had going to the Cubs at 30. However, last week he touched 101mph in front of a bunch of scouts so I'm sure he's going to gain some helium.

If you trust your developmental system, the pick is Heliot Ramos, one of the youngest guy in the draft with some of the loudest tools.  The swing probably needs to be completely reworked though.

Archived