Best no. 3 pick of all time: Evan Longoria?

Frobby

ESPN did a piece today where they chose the best pick ever made at each spot in the first round of the draft -- e.g., Alex Rodriguez was the best no. 1 pick, etc.    At no. 3, they chose Evan Longoria over Manny.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19553422/the-ultimate-mlb-draft-best-pick-ever-every-spot-1-30

Longoria's a great player, but in time I think that choice will look foolish.

The only Oriole on the list was, not surprisingly, Mike Mussina, the best player ever chosen at no. 20.   

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

ESPN did a piece today where they chose the best pick ever made at each spot in the first round of the draft -- e.g., Alex Rodriguez was the best no. 1 pick, etc.    At no. 3, they chose Evan Longoria over Manny.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19553422/the-ultimate-mlb-draft-best-pick-ever-every-spot-1-30

Longoria's a great player, but in time I think that choice will look foolish.

The only Oriole on the list was, not surprisingly, Mike Mussina, the best player ever chosen at no. 20.   

It would appear as though they're basing their current rankings entirely on average WAR per season. So not a lot of science involved. Just dig up a player's career WAR, run it against his years active, and that's that.

1 hour ago, Larry18 said:

Paul Molitor and Robin Yount were taken with the third pick.

Good point, and I'd probably go with either of them over Manny or Longoria at this point.    Manny's likely to surpass them both if he's still healthy ten years from now, but you can't assume that.    

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good point, and I'd probably go with either of them over Manny or Longoria at this point.    Manny's likely to surpass them both if he's still healthy ten years from now, but you can't assume that.    

And Longoria's average WAR might dip below those two guys, as well. The method they're using isn't really fair, given that it's focused entirely on average WAR per season... favors younger, still active players who haven't had twilight years, yet, where numbers typically decline.

11 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Worst swing and miss on a draft pick goes in a tie to Seattle Pilots and Kansas City Royals in the expansion draft of 1968=  Jim Palmer  (unprotected and waivered by the Os in September 1968). 

Perhaps, but IIRC, Palmer was injured in 1968.  They may have felt the risk was too great.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Perhaps, but IIRC, Palmer was injured in 1968.  They may have felt the risk was too great.

They were wrong.  Palmer was out all of 1967 except 49 innings, had surgery, rehabbed in minors during 1968 and then returned as a key starter in the 1969 pennant season.

Archived