Child molester to be drafted?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/11/2017 at 8:45 PM, Tryptamine said:

I've thought about this a lot and basically the kid did something pretty horrible, not as horrible as it could have been for the little girl physically, my understanding was he only used his hands. He's been issued punishment by the juvenile justice system of which he completed all of it including counseling. The counselor is on record saying that he has very little chance of repeating this type incident. Since then he's been a model citizen. He registered as a  sex offender and kept it up to date except on this one occasion he submitted an update to his profile, but it was outside the 10 day allowable time and that's how this all started. Long story short, the kid has paid for his crime in the eyes of the law, he already  has to be branded for the rest of his life, there's no reason to take away his ability to work as a possible major player as well. He should be free to pursue whatever type of employment he wants. With that said, from the Team's side it's an absolute PR nightmare and I'm sure many clubs have completely removed him from their draft boards. I know Jed Hoyer said he wasn't on the Cub's board anymore.

I just don't know who would leak this story because it involved 2 minors. So not only is Heimlich's life drastically changed, but now it's very easy to put 2 and 2 together and figure out who his cousin is. I'm sure that wont traumatize her at all knowing that all her friends,teachers, etc all know what none of them should have.

So the world didn't be warned about this guy because he was only 15?   Please. 

I don't know if thIs kid committed this crime. Being forced by the judicial system to admit "plead guilty" to a crime you didn't commit for leniency is a flaw in the system. Not being asked by the polygraph tester about the alleged incident also makes no sense to me. IMO the kid should've been found guilty or cleared before any decision was made. Due to his age leniency should've been a given because he was indeed a child/minor. 

Jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts is wrong imo. I thank The guys for posting the articles about the incident and it sounds to me like the kid always denied the allegations. And essentially a lawyer recommended the course of action

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I don't know if thIs kid committed this crime. Being forced by the judicial system to admit "plead guilty" to a crime you didn't commit for leniency is a flaw in the system. Not being asked by the polygraph tester about the alleged incident also makes no sense to me. IMO the kid should've been found guilty or cleared before any decision was made. Due to his age leniency should've been a given because he was indeed a child/minor. 

Jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts is wrong imo. I thank The guys for posting the articles about the incident and it sounds to me like the kid always denied the allegations. And essentially a lawyer recommended the course of action

Frankly, it's tough to know what to think, and no one will probably ever know what happened - or didn't - aside from those immediately involved (and given the very young age of the accuser, perhaps there is even some question there).  And I'll add the obvious (but sometimes obligatory in a forum such as this) statement that what he was accused of and seemingly reluctantly admitted to having done was absolutely horrible and disgusting (whether or not he made such an admission solely based on legal advice that admitting guilt would close the matter quickly and quietly is a separate point).  At this juncture, the question is how he moves forward; I believe an opposing coach in the SI article rhetorically asked if he's just supposed to kill himself.  I think it's a morbid but fair question; if no one will ever give him a chance to work in his chosen profession, where he has the potential to excel, what exactly is he supposed to do?

At the same time, I totally see the MLB club perspective of whether or not this guy is worth the potential headache.  I think most would agree that, having legally been determined to have paid his debt, he should have the opportunity to make a living and actually live his life.  It's just tough because few organizations would want to be the one that gives him that chance.

We'll see what happens today.  I bet, and hope, he gets drafted by someone.  It's a hell of a complex issue, though.

• weams locked this topic

Archived