2017 26th round pick (788): Cameron Bishop - LHP - University of California - Irvine

1 hour ago, Obando said:

Apparently, the top 200 draft prospects as ranked internally by MLB take pre-draft physicals, so all teams have access to the results.  Conlon was on the top 200, while Bishop was not, so the Orioles had access to Conlon's medicals early on, while they didn't have any medicals for Bishop.  That is why they needed Bishop to take a physical before the deal would become official.  You'd think that they'd have enough time to get this all worked out by the 5 pm deadline on Friday, but apparently everything got delayed because Angelos tried to renegotiate the bonus terms due to something they saw on the physical.  The fact that he ultimately agreed to keep the terms the same tells me that the physical results weren't really that concerning, although I'm sure they saw something that gave them enough pause to try and change the deal terms.  

Whatever the case, I'm just so sick and tired of every potential signing, whether it's a major leaguer or a draft pick, becoming an adventure because of the Orioles stringent physical.  While players do fail other teams' physicals, it just seems like it happens much more often with the Orioles, and it's widely known that the Orioles physical is much tougher to pass than other teams.  I think the most logical solution is to have a standardized physical for all teams, so that everyone must comply with the same requirements.  All physical results should be reviewed by someone with MLB to determine if a player passes or fails.  That will remove the subjective nature of a team physical, where a player fails for one team but passes for another.

If the O's already had access to Conlon's physical results, why did they even draft him in the 4th round? Did they wait until the week of the deadline to look at the results?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, panick said:

If the O's already had access to Conlon's physical results, why did they even draft him in the 4th round? Did they wait until the week of the deadline to look at the results?

I'm assuming that the O's gave him their own team physical, in addition to the pre-draft physical, and that was where the issue arose.

On 7/10/2017 at 11:36 AM, phillyOs119 said:

I'm assuming that the O's gave him their own team physical, in addition to the pre-draft physical, and that was where the issue arose.

How big of an issue could there be between the standard MLB draft physical and the Orioles one to where it's worth not signing your 4th round pick?

I mean if he needs Tommy John get him his Tommy John and get him into the system. I realize that's easier said than done but it speaks volumes that we would rather let our 4th round pick go for nothing than figure out a way to make this work.

Quite embarrassing.

10 minutes ago, epic said:

How big of an issue could there be between the standard MLB draft physical and the Orioles one to where it's worth not signing your 4th round pick?

I mean if he needs Tommy John get him his Tommy John and get him into the system. I realize that's easier said than done but it speaks volumes that we would rather let our 4th round pick go for nothing than figure out a way to make this work.

Quite embarrassing.

It will come out in due time.  As will if the O's were correct.

On 7/11/2017 at 3:00 PM, epic said:

Quite embarrassing.

I doubt it was Tommy John since TJ surgery is pretty common and most pitchers bounce back fine. Shoulders are another thing though and perhaps that was where the concerns were? I really don't know but someone major had to be there for the Orioles to not offer anything. One thing Rajsich has been very good at doing is getting guys signed. so there's something else at play here.

I have some updated info to share based on recent intel I got from my source.  There is no resolution on this yet, as the MLBPA and legal department of MLB are still working on it.  However, it sounds like Bishop will become a restricted free agent that is still subject to team bonus pool amounts.  The plan is for him to go back to the Cape and continue pitching so all 30 teams can evaluate him and then submit their offers.  The Orioles would still have a very strong shot to sign Bishop since they can offer more than any other team if they offer up to their their limit without a draft pick penalty, which is $980,735, or essentially the equivalent of a 2nd round pick.  The Orioles have the most pool money saved of any team at $513,400 (the next closest is the Marlins at $333,500), but when factoring in the max a team can offer without incurring a draft pick penalty, the Orioles offer of $600k (which includes the $125k max teams can offer in rounds 11-40) could easily be outbid by some other teams.

However, knowing how Angelos operates, I'll bet his stubbornness won't let him authorize spending more than the $600k he "agreed" to pay Bishop before the signing paperwork was submitted after the deadline.  But if he is smart and takes into account that he spends no money internationally, he will recognize the error of his ways and ensure that the O's get Bishop signed, even though it could cost him almost $400k more than it should have if he would have just made the deal as negotiated before the deadline.

I'll keep you all posted the next time I get an update on this, but this is definitely an interesting development that could result in another team stealing Bishop from the O's due to their foolishness, unless of course Angelos steps up and gets it done this time.  You might want to follow Bishop's progress on the Cape to get a feel for what direction this could go in.

Archived