How to do a quick rebuild.

bpilktree

The way the team is playing we will not stay in contention and the plan should be to look to ways to rebuild as best we can.    This is how I would rebuild this team with what are a few reasonable trades.

1.  Manny Machado to Houston for SS Alex Bergman, OF Derek Fisher, RHP Franklin Perez.

2.   Britton to Milwaukee for OfLewis Bronson SP Josh Hader or Luis Ortiiz.  

3. Brach to Nats for SP Fedde and  3B Neuse.

4.  Trade Castillo and anyone else that is not part or future you can.

5.  This offseason sign Jake McGee to fill in at back of pen.    Then Nunez to play at 3rd.  A veteran starter that doesn't cost pick and not cost a lot.  We have plenty of money in this scenario..  

Roster looks something like this

C Sisco

1B Davis

2nd Schoop

SS Bergman

3B Nunez

Lf Mancini

CF  Jones

RF Fisher

DH Trumbo

SP Bundy

SP Gausman

SP  Free agent

Sp Hader or Ortiz

SP  FEdde or Perez

RP Mcgee

Rp Givens

RP O,Day

RP Blier

Rp Wright

There is some other moves but this gets in idea what team could look like with a few moves,

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd add smith and miley to that list.

Smith to colorado for bullpen help and look to deal Miley for a mid tier prospect or maybe a feldman change of scenery type deal. 

I'd rather not see free agents leave for nothing.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

The way the team is playing we will not stay in contention and the plan should be to look to ways to rebuild as best we can.    This is how I would rebuild this team with what are a few reasonable trades.

1.  Manny Machado to Houston for SS Alex Bergman, OF Derek Fisher, RHP Franklin Perez.

2.   Britton to Milwaukee for OfLewis Bronson SP Josh Hader or Luis Ortiiz.  

3. Brach to Nats for SP Fedde and  3B Neuse.

4.  Trade Castillo and anyone else that is not part or future you can.

5.  This offseason sign Jake McGee to fill in at back of pen.    Then Nunez to play at 3rd.  A veteran starter that doesn't cost pick and not cost a lot.  We have plenty of money in this scenario..  

Roster looks something like this

C Sisco

1B Davis

2nd Schoop

SS Bergman

3B Nunez

Lf Mancini

CF  Jones

RF Fisher

DH Trumbo

SP Bundy

SP Gausman

SP  Free agent

Sp Hader or Ortiz

SP  FEdde or Perez

RP Mcgee

Rp Givens

RP O,Day

RP Blier

Rp Wright

There is some other moves but this gets in idea what team could look like with a few moves,

That and five years of top of the order drafts will put you back in the playoffs. 

Pretty much spot on. Brach, Britton, Miley and Castillo should all be dumped. Machado - maybe, depending on how much of a discount his slow year will cost. Might be able to compete again next year, provided the return includes major-league ready talent. 

I doubt Houston is giving up Bregman for Manny. They are already the best team in baseball without him. Houston built it the right way, they aren't going to burn their farm system for a year and a half of Machado when they are already a great team.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I doubt Houston is giving up Bregman for Manny. They are already the best team in baseball without him. Houston built it the right way, they aren't going to burn their farm system for a year and a half of Machado when they are already a great team.

Sure they are. If they would want to have Manny. 

Manny for Bergman is a tough deal to sell at the moment. Either Manny needs to catch fire, or the buying team needs to be desperate. It's possible to win in the trade market, but my opinion is the Houston will drive a hard bargain, ie they're not a great trade partner. 

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

Teams when they are close and even best teams make that trade that gets them that final piece.  The Cubs last year were clearly the best team in baseball and they traded one of best prospects in the game for 2 months of Chapman.

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Sure they are. If they would want to have Manny. 

Machado has been a half a win more valuable than Bregman. I doubt they do it.

Edit: he's been about 1 win better. ESPN was showing offense only which is half a win. I still doubt they'd trade the farm when they are already walking away from everyone else. I don't feel like they are desperate and think they are 1 player away.

2 minutes ago, 99ct said:

Manny for Bergman is a tough deal to sell at the moment. Either Manny needs to catch fire, or the buying team needs to be desperate. It's possible to win in the trade market, but my opinion is the Houston will drive a hard bargain, ie they're not a great trade partner. 

Bergman is already loosing some at bats because of his struggles.  Gonzalez is forcing people in Houston to call to bench Bregman.  Manny is a big time player while Bregman is top prospect.  Manny is a much better glove at third  and more established player.

Fair point - I guess I didn't realize Bregman had fallen. It's also about what additional prospects would be included in the deal. But my overarching point was that Houston is unlikely to be desperate, and desperate trade partners are the best trade partners. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

... they aren't going to burn their farm system for a year and a half of Machado when they are already a great team.

It's two post season runs ('17 and '18), however, if they get Manny. That's what counts. Plus, if Manny's bat reverts to form, the second half of this year could be a torrid run by Manny leading into and possibly carrying over into the playoffs. 

42 minutes ago, 99ct said:

Fair point - I guess I didn't realize Bregman had fallen. It's also about what additional prospects would be included in the deal. But my overarching point was that Houston is unlikely to be desperate, and desperate trade partners are the best trade partners. 

I think desperate teams overpay for mediocre upgrades.  Like we did with Parra though Davies wasn't a big prospect.  The best teams to trade for imo is teams with loaded farm systems and young players when you have a big piece.  The Astros have a great young team no doubt but also have a talented farm that could hurt them less with losing a couple good prospects more then a team with a weak farm.  You also never know how many chances you may get.  Everyone thought the Cubs were easily the best team in baseball this season and now they are struggling around .500 this year and major pitching issues.

52 minutes ago, 99ct said:

How often are they going to be chasing their World Series?

Archived