If we buy, what can we afford?

Lucky_13

11 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Im not recommendng it necessarily, but Alex Coob, Chris Archer, Jason Vargas, Sonny Gray among others.

I'd look at Sonny Gray. Hasn't been amazing the last two years but if you can get him for Sisco I'd go for it. 2 years of control after this season. Maybe needs a change of scenery. Knowing Beane it'll take Sisco+ so that's a pipe dream. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Archer is not FA til 2020 otherwise he would be an extremely hot commodity right now.

13. Starter Chris Archer, Rays: The Rays aren’t necessarily motivated to move him, but they will certainly listen, and see if anyone meets their steep asking price. The Chicago Cubs - who traded Archer to Tampa Bay in 2011 - are enamored with him, and who doesn’t love that he’s under control through 2021 at $30.25 million after this year. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2017/05/30/mlb-trade-deadline-top-players-available/102307060/ But if you aren't interested substitute Yu Darvish.:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

13. Starter Chris Archer, Rays: The Rays aren’t necessarily motivated to move him, but they will certainly listen, and see if anyone meets their steep asking price. The Chicago Cubs - who traded Archer to Tampa Bay in 2011 - are enamored with him, and who doesn’t love that he’s under control through 2021 at $30.25 million after this year. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2017/05/30/mlb-trade-deadline-top-players-available/102307060/ But if you aren't interested substitute Yu Darvish.:rolleyes:

I am interested in Archer, we just don't have anywhere near what it would take. Probably need to start with Bundy for 4 years of Archer.  

Rangers are in the same spot we are. Doubt they are selling when they can QO Darvish.

Cobb would make a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd look at Sonny Gray. Hasn't been amazing the last two years but if you can get him for Sisco I'd go for it. 2 years of control after this season. Maybe needs a change of scenery. Knowing Beane it'll take Sisco+ so that's a pipe dream. 

You'll be shocked by how much they get for Sonny Gray. Cubs have been in on him too and apparently it's going to cost one of Eloy(likely top 10 prospect in the game) or Ian Happ along with others which to me is just craziness.

Cosart for position players.  The bullpen is fine if Britton and O'day are healthy.  We really need some SP.  Of course we're going to see what we have.  I think you gotta throw the stats out the window for our rotation for the year and just start from now on.  Hopefully Tillman and Gausman can have 2nd half's that are closer to their career norm.  If we're really looking to buy...

SS Zach Cosart 7/31

SP Matt Moore (just a buy low guy) 7/31

OF Micheal Bourn 8/31

RP Scott Feldman type 8/31

RH OF vet bat 8/31

We could come out of that with only having to give up one top prospect for Cozart.  That could be a bidding war.  

See this is way more fun than the selling threads.   

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cosart for position players.  The bullpen is fine if Britton and O'day are healthy.  We really need some SP.  Of course we're going to see what we have.  I think you gotta throw the stats out the window for our rotation for the year and just start from now on.  Hopefully Tillman and Gausman can have 2nd half's that are closer to their career norm.  If we're really looking to buy...

SS Zach Cosart 7/31

SP Matt Moore (just a buy low guy) 7/31

OF Micheal Bourn 8/31

RP Scott Feldman type 8/31

RH OF vet bat 8/31

We could come out of that with only having to give up one top prospect for Cozart.  That could be a bidding war.  

See this is way more fun than the selling threads.   

Few things would be more absurd than trading for Cozart. His hard contact rate is down, his soft contact rate is up, & his babip is 100 points higher than it was a year ago. It sounds like a Duq move. ☹️

4 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Who said anything about it being a surprise?  

And I'm probably going to regret asking, but what the bleep does "getting icy" mean?  

I meant getting rich...I'm not sure what happened. 

I guess you can get ready to go ballistic then. You're right. It's not a surprise.

7 hours ago, weams said:

Sure you could. You are talking the OLD GRAY.

I think he's going to command two prospects more highly thought of than anyone we've got. I hope we can't afford him. I'm surprised you think thats better than what they'll be offered, but it makes me think RM & Hays may be getting more respect around the league because I'm quite certain that you know infinitely more than I. Tangentially, I tend to believe RM would bring back more than Sisco. 

Archived