Is Duquette Serious?

Lucky_13

"And no, they aren’t going to be sellers. Executive vice president Dan Duquette has made it clear in multiple interviews." - Roch

If the team tanks and is lets say 10 game sunder .500 by July 31, will they sell? He can't possibly be that stubborn right? RIGHT?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

"And no, they aren’t going to be sellers. Executive vice president Dan Duquette has made it clear in multiple interviews." - Roch

If the team tanks and is lets say 10 game sunder .500 by July 31, will they sell? He can't possibly be that stubborn right? RIGHT?

Think about, it I know it's hard, Suppose he had said yes we are selling, a week or so ago when he was first asked that question. What kind of message does that send to his team or the fans? He can't say that even if he's thinking that.

11 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

You keep thinking that.

I think DD is that stubborn, but the ok to start selling still has to come from above him, and that's where the problem lies. Him coming out and saying we will be sellers at this point probably won't go over well with the fanbase even though there are a lot of us who see the writing on the wall that its time to start making changes.

I've pretty much convinced myself that DD and the front office are not going to sell no matter how bad things get before July 31st, and at the end of the season we'll hear the same thing. Personally I think after the season it'll be more of the same kind of signings and DD saying we've retooled the roster and I believe we can compete.

11 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Think about, it I know it's hard, Suppose he had said yes we are selling, a week or so ago when he was first asked that question. What kind of message does that send to his team or the fans? He can't say that even if he's thinking that.

Possible. But I'd rather he be noncommital then so gung ho on buying. Not to mention he told rival gms they are buying.

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Possible. But I'd rather he be noncommital then so gung ho on selling. Not to mention he told rival gms they are buying.

Non commital is not going to be read that way by the team. I know it doesn't look like it but they are actually still trying to win.

5 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I think DD is that stubborn, but the ok to start selling still has to come from above him, and that's where the problem lies. Him coming out and saying we will be sellers at this point probably won't go over well with the fanbase even though there are a lot of us who see the writing on the wall that its time to start making changes.

I've pretty much convinced myself that DD and the front office are not going to sell no matter how bad things get before July 31st, and at the end of the season we'll hear the same thing. Personally I think after the season it'll be more of the same kind of signings and DD saying we've retooled the roster and I believe we can compete.

Is your average fan under the delusion that this team is a contender?  The string of severe whippings they have suffered hasn't clued them in that the pitching just isn't there for a run?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is your average fan under the delusion that this team is a contender?  The string of severe whippings they have suffered hasn't clued them in that the pitching just isn't there for a run?

I do know a few delusional fans unfortunately. It always comes back to the same thing with them too, were barely out of the wild card, the offense will heat up and carry us, and when Britton comes back the bullpen will be its old self.

29 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Oh man. Will DD ever learn? Nope. 

38 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yep I'd say dead serious... Like I said before the O's are not going to be sellers.

JMHO they are a most likely a .500 ball club and that will keep them close enough for the 2nd wild card hopes till its too late. 

At best I expect no sell off till after the season and even then it's not the Angelos style to sell the farm.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

I agree with this.    But he'd damned well better be thinking it.  

If the owner believes that it is his duty to the fans to field the best possible team each year - obviously within budget limitations - then the whole notion of a strategic rebuild is automatically removed from consideration except in the direst situation.  I believe this is close to what's going on.  It took a decade of futility before MacPhail was allowed to even start down that road and then in only a half-assed way.  The Orioles have been a very good team over the last five years, and they aren't even close to being eliminated at this point.  They've provided an acceptible return on investment up until this season.  They go 8-2 over the next ten games and the world looks very different.

I see the weaknesses and so does most everybody else who posts here.  DD probably does too, but I think his hands are tied.  No point in beating on Dan about this, he's not a dead horse.  He's just required to act like one 40 hours a week these days.

Archived