Manny

brooksfrankjim

I think Manny has a few things going on:

1) He's bulked up a lot and is obviously trying to his a lot of HRs, to the detriment of his BA and OBP.

2) I think he's looking ahead to being traded and then being a FA.  I think it's obvious to anyone realistic that he's not going to be an Oriole on his next contract.  The only question is do they trade him or ride it out and just let him leave as a FA.  If they trade him, do they do it now, this offseason, or next July.  I think this is all weighing on Manny right now, as he has shown that he can lack maturity at times.  Hey, he's 24, I think we all probably lacked maturity at that age at times.  But point is, I think he's suffering from a lack of focus at times due to his pending future.

Combine #1 and #2, and you see why his performance has been off this year.  And no, IMO, I don't think that will hurt his value much, if at all.  Teams know what they're getting if they trade for/sign him.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, esmd said:

I think Manny has a few things going on:

1) He's bulked up a lot and is obviously trying to his a lot of HRs, to the detriment of his BA and OBP.

2) I think he's looking ahead to being traded and then being a FA.  I think it's obvious to anyone realistic that he's not going to be an Oriole on his next contract.  The only question is do they trade him or ride it out and just let him leave as a FA.  If they trade him, do they do it now, this offseason, or next July.  I think this is all weighing on Manny right now, as he has shown that he can lack maturity at times.  Hey, he's 24, I think we all probably lacked maturity at that age at times.  But point is, I think he's suffering from a lack of focus at times due to his pending future.

Combine #1 and #2, and you see why his performance has been off this year.  And no, IMO, I don't think that will hurt his value much, if at all.  Teams know what they're getting if they trade for/sign him.

Nice list of excuses.... perhaps he's not as good as the average OH poster thinks he is.

No more 400 million dollar contract talk... would anyone give him 5/100 today?

There are 19 starting 3B with a better OPS than Manny, not really that many folks going to be interested

leaves the door open for the O's to bid against themselves... Imagine Manny at 3B and Chris Davis at 1B for the next 5 years and neither hitting above .250

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Nice list of excuses.... perhaps he's not as good as the average OH poster thinks he is.

There are 19 starting 3B with a better OPS than Manny, not really that many folks going to be interested

leaves the door open for the O's to bid against themselves... Imagine Manny at 3B and Chris Davis at 1B for the next 5 years and neither hitting above .250

Manny will still easily get well over $200+ million in the open market. Jason Heyward got a $184 million contract, Ellsbury got $153 million and Carl Crawford got $142 million and none of those guys can hold Manny's jock as a player. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, that does it.  Wraps it all up.  Shows over, folks.  Book has been written about Manny Machado.  One bad season and he can never get better.  

Hey, I know.  A better comp would have been  like talking about Cal Ripken in 1990.  THERE.  I bet if the OH existed in 1990 there'd be a bunch of Dundalkers with mullets and tank tops talking about how we can't have a SS hitting .240 and that the team isn't as good as it was in 1989 because of him.  

I am from Highlandtown and I recall having a discussion with my late Uncle how Ripken looked soft and out of shape    during that season. It  would have have been a good idea for him to sit.   Further, I think Murray should have been MVP over Ripken in 1982. Manny is having a bad year thus far and I think that the fans have been pretty patient with his overall approach. 

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Most GM's are not shortsighted, and are going to look at Manny's entire career to date, not one particular half-season in which he's struggled.     I always thought the $400 mm talk was silly, even assuming Manny kept posting seasons like he had in 2015-16.     But $300 mm is surely still in play. I'd sign him for 10/$300 mm without thinking twice about it.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Most GM's are not shortsighted, and are going to look at Manny's entire career to date, not one particular half-season in which he's struggled.     I always thought the $400 mm talk was silly, even assuming Manny kept posting seasons like he had in 2015-16.     But $300 mm is surely still in play. I'd sign him for 10/$300 mm without thinking twice about it.

Wow, without thinking about it?

How many 10/200 million dollar deals can you list that benefitted the team (on field record, not attendance).

I've said it before whatever Manny gets will be a mistake by the signing team.

You'd think his complete lack of hustle would be enough of a red flag to at lest thinking twice about signing a 10 year deal, than there is the .215 batting average, the surgically repaired knees, the negative baserunning value.

It'll be real interesting following Manny over the next 5-10 years

7 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

It is at times he is still making terrific plays. He just isn't thinking in his AB. Don't know why.

There's still a ~.070 separation between his batting average and on base percentage.  

I don't want to come off as a Manny apologist but guys have bad years.  It happens.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's still a ~.070 separation between his batting average and on base percentage.  

I don't want to come off as a Manny apologist but guys have bad years.  It happens.  

That's what I say.     That said, every time Manny puts together a little hot streak this year, he goes cold again.     I keep waiting for a sustained hot streak.

17 hours ago, Superbee83 said:

That's one of my issues with signing Machado to a long term deal if the team is rebuilding. 

He certainly has not handled the adversity very well this season.

He handled being thrown at perfectly. Let's get him on dr Phil.

This should fe simple, have a number you're willing to pay and trade him if it's not good enough. I think he will be one of the top 10 players in baseball for 8 years, but if he's unwilling to accept an offer now, get the best offer out there and build on.

Archived