When do Buck and Dan finally say enough is enough?

Diehard_O's_Fan

33 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I guess I just don't understand how this organization is run. Like a poster above wrote, we've made some really bad pitching decisions/evaluations. We have very few young, potential MLB players in our minors yet we seem to give away some  decent players quite often at the trade deadline. I'm not a DD fan at all. I get so tired of reading the headlines that say "Orioles acquire another no-talent player to fill a minor league roster spot". How often have you seen a DD transaction and think "who the hell is that bum??". He's great at picking up fringe players.

Sorry but this team need a complete overhaul. And why do we give away all of our international signing slots? It makes no sense.

Signed,

A frustrated lifelong O's fan

I agree on the bad pitching decisions, especially on guys we've given away for those fringe players that were supposed to help. We just played Milwaukee who had Davies and Hader, plus guys like Bridwell and Miranda. Would they be perform the same with us, who knows, but they certainly couldn't be any worse then what we got back for them, and it would leave us with better pitching depth, at least IMO.

The international signing slots bother me as much as any of the bad moves the FO has made over the last few years. I don't understand why we avoid participating in the international market. We'll trade the slots for guys that can possibly never help, have little to no upside, and also waste millions on guys like Kim, Yoon, Alvarez and Urrutia. I'd much rather take a chance on 16-18 year olds who can be developed and have potential over guys who are in their mids 20s and are close to finished products. I'm not saying spend millions on one player, but spread that money out on a number of guys and add young depth to the system instead of what we normally spend it on.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

You're basing this off of a small handful of largely unremarkable MLB appearances. You can't possibly be willing to call him better than anyone on the Norfolk Shuttle for certain at this point.

I'm basing this off his stuff and potential which up until this year the Orioles raved about. I'd rather have a young guy with a chance to be good like Bridwell instead of retreads like nuno or castoffs like ynoa

5 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'm basing this off his stuff and potential which up until this year the Orioles raved about. I'd rather have a young guy with a chance to be good like Bridwell instead of retreads like nuno or castoffs like ynoa

What makes Ynoa a castoff at 24? At worst, he's the Mets version of Bridwell. A guy that just ran out of time (and a roster spot) in his original organization.

15 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Even Mike Trout wasn't projected to be a Mike Trout level player. He was taken No. 25.

And your example is far too specific. If you get to the last game and it makes a difference, so be it. But rooting for them to just collapse by early July isn't being a fan, in my book.

Further, if you're tuned out and honestly hoping to check on them and find them failing, you're not helping the team on two levels.

I am a fan who lives 500 miles away.  I have no effect on the team on any level unless we are thinking Vedic waves is really a thing.  And no I am not actively rooting for the other team.  I am looking at any result, win or lose, and finding value in it.  Of course I love when they win, but right now for the long term health of the organization losing doesn't look like such a bad thing if it means the front office or ownership stops deluding themselves into the idea that this can be a competitive team.

As for Mike Trout comparison, the responses I got were missing the point.  I know Trout was a 25th pick, that's why I said "Mike Trout level talent."  Perhaps I chose the wrong player...

Stephen Strasburg.  The number two pick that year...Dustin Ackley.

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

Scott Feldman

Jason Hammel

Steven Brault

Wei Yin Chen

Jeremy Guthrie

Bud Norris

One of my favorite mistakes was Pat Neshek who was released because of a 40 man roster crunch

Since the O's released him he has been a two time all star including this year

8 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

One of my favorite mistakes was Pat Neshek who was released because of a 40 man roster crunch

And we let him go to a fellow playoff team that year.  

DD needs to be fired.  Let Brady and his guys pick the whatever players are coming back in trades.  I'd rather have the Jhon Pellufo types than Logan Verrett.  

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The O's bullpen was stacked in 2012, particularly with RH's who were doing great.  Ayala, Strop, O'Day and JJ.

Plus they had the whole Britton, Matusz, Arrietta crew clogging up the 40 man.  Looking back Steve Johnson had a great season as well at only 24

This particular criticism is hindsight.  

9 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

The O's bullpen was stacked in 2012, particularly with RH's who were doing great.  Ayala, Strop, O'Day and JJ.

Plus they had the whole Britton, Matusz, Arrietta crew clogging up the 40 man.  Looking back Steve Johnson had a great season as well at only 24

This particular criticism is hindsight.  

Not hindsight I posted back then that it was a mistake... not going to retrieve the whole 40 man but there were plenty of guys with less talent than Neshek

19 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

And a 3.24 ERA.  Even if he winds up with an ERA of 4.5, he's still a much better major league pitcher than anyone would have guessed based on his time with the Orioles' organization.  

I disagree.  He has a 5.83 FIP, 1.41 WHIP, and 5 K/9.

He's really bad. 

I would be extremely surprised if we are buyers at the trade deadline unless things improve significantly in the next three weeks. 

Whether or not we end up being sellers is the big question.  They may have delusions of reloading for 2018 which means the only guys you will see moved are pending free agents (limited value aside from maybe Castillo, who could net us a decent prospect) and maybe Brad Brach.  

6 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

It was actually irresponsible because they kept Socolovich. Which was idiotic at the time for a variety of reasons. IT was 2012, the O's were in a Wild Card chase with the Athletics...and what did Duquette do? Give him to the A's for nothing. Beyond stupid.

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I would be extremely surprised if we are buyers at the trade deadline unless things improve significantly in the next three weeks. 

Whether or not we end up being sellers is the big question.  They may have delusions of reloading for 2018 which means the only guys you will see moved are pending free agents (limited value aside from maybe Castillo, who could net us a decent prospect) and maybe Brad Brach.  

God I hope not.  What happens if they "reload" for 2018, buy again next year further depleting the farm, and then lose all those free agents with no compensation.  What would they be starting with in 2019?

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

God I hope not.  What happens if they "reload" for 2018, buy again next year further depleting the farm, and then lose all those free agents with no compensation.  What would they be starting with in 2019?

A new Manager and GM.

Archived