Is it time for Weiters to go to Bowie?

IrishOriole

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vote that nobody complain about Weiters still being at Frederick until after the all-star break in two weeks. If he is still there after the break, then by all means, send angry letters to the Warehouse and put "For Sale" in Andy MacPhail's yard...

Well I ran into none other than Andy MacPhail tonight at the Keys game, and it would appear to me that Wieters may be on his way up.
Obviously he's on the way up. The only suspense (and there's not much, really) involves the question of when. If you're suggesting that they've decided to promote him just BEFORE the All-Star game, that would be newsworthy. I doubt that's what you heard.

Don't forget Snyder!!!

But where's the power? I'm not seeing it from Snyder or Rowell at this point.

A certain former no. 1 pick hit 1 HR in 205 AB in his first pro season at age 19, at Aberdeen. I refer to Nick Markakis. So I'm not going to worry much about Rowell only hitting 2 in 138 AB in a league 2 levels above where Markakis was playing at the same age.

Snyder, on the other hand, is the same age that Nick was when he played at Frederick. Nick really turned it on that year and Snyder will have a very tough time equaling what Nick did as a 21-year old.

Don't forget Snyder!!!

But where's the power? I'm not seeing it from Snyder or Rowell at this point.

Snyder slugged .479 in May and is at .450 through June (albeit in just 5 games). I think he's having a better season than some are giving him credit for.

Obviously he's on the way up. The only suspense (and there's not much, really) involves the question of when. If you're suggesting that they've decided to promote him just BEFORE the All-Star game, that would be newsworthy. I doubt that's what you heard.

I'm suggesting that it's going to be soon, since the GM is down there watching him.

Snyder slugged .479 in May and is at .450 through June (albeit in just 5 games). I think he's having a better season than some are giving him credit for.

Yeah, he still has time. I don't know if Markakis's splits from 2005 are available anywhere, but he generally wasn't a fast starter, either.

From June 6:

Weiters got off to hot start in his first year of pro ball. We can all agree on that. This is his first season and coaches and pitchers were unable to prepare for him. By now the Keys have started to see teams for the second or even third time. Pitchers have faced Weiters and coaches have had time to study him on film. The players working camera's stand out like thorns in a rose bush during games. I'm sure opposing coaches have looked for ever hole in his swing, ever tendency to chase a certain looking pitch. Now when Weiters comes to the plate a pitcher knows how to pitch to him. This could explain his recent slump.

The bottom line is pitchers have adjusted to Weiters, but Weiters has not adjusted to the pitchers. If he continues to slump the Orioles would be wise to leave him in High A until he figures out how to adjust to pitchers. If he never learns to adjust and the Orioles just keep promoting him hoping he'll learn along the way, then he won't be the future All-Star we all praise, but the bust will talk about every year.

I'm sorry to keep quoting this, but it is just so funny. Wieters is now hitting .417/.522/.611 in June.

And DEbird, I really do apologize. I know you already admitted you were wrong. I hope you don't mind my posting it again. It's just a reminder of how sometimes we can overreact when someone hits a little slump, like people overreacted when Nick Markakis slumped in May.

3-4 with a walk tonight.

351/449/594/1043

All his hits were grounders so nothing hit that solidly. His first hit was up the 1st baseline and he tried to stretch into a double, but was out by a mile.

He threw out the 1st runner on base and I don't think anybody tried to run on him again. His release is extremely quick.

Archived