How the Juiced Ball Killed the Orioles

Camden_yardbird

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mentioned Earl and the long grass earlier.

Going to go real simple with this one, broadest scenario.

Let us say that the juiced ball makes 70% of balls that would have died on the warning track home runs.  If a team like the Orioles had less balls falling into that category (because they were already going out) they would see less of an increase.  All of the other possible outcomes, strike outs, ground balls, pop outs, are not going to be effected by the juiced ball.

So, perhaps the Orioles batted ball profile is such that a few extra feet on fly balls wouldn't aid them as much as others? I can get behind that.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earl also said that "The only thing that matters is what happens on the little hump out in the middle of the field."

Offense for this team isn't too much of a problem, with the exception of the lack of OBP.  Lack of OBP is what keeps this team from being able to score on a constant basis.

The defense ain't great anymore but it's not terrible, either.

If a juiced ball is really in play, it's a perfect storm with the much bandied about approach that hitters have to lift the ball.  Combine that with our crappy pitching and that's the REAL problem.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We are a terrible road team that isn't built to win in bigger ballparks. Our guys have WTP there and the OF defense gets exposed. 

Playing on the road is the obvious answer. Although I do agree that the juiced ball has allowed other teams to copy our strategy and has exposed are pitch to contact  SP's. 

The Orioles are 12-13 at home since May 19th. Not that great at home lately either.

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Earl also said that "The only thing that matters is what happens on the little hump out in the middle of the field."

Offense for this team isn't too much of a problem, with the exception of the lack of OBP.  Lack of OBP is what keeps this team from being able to score on a constant basis.

If a juiced ball is really in play, it's a perfect storm with the much bandied about approach that hitters have to lift the ball.  Combine that with our crappy pitching and that's the REAL problem.  

Everything is a problem. According to fangraphs, they are 26th in pitching fWAR, 21st in offense, and 23rd in defense.

They're not good at anything right now.

I think the Orioles decrease in HR rate this year can be attributed to things like injury to Chris Davis, and an obvious decrease in production from Manny who looks to have modified his approach over the past year.

The evidence is fairly damning that the ball is juiced.  The question is whether it has a negative effect on the Orioles.  I think it does.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The defense is very poor as well. Very.  

Archived