MLB Host Flores: "Orioles Need a Complete Rebuild..."

MemorialStadKid

18 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I guess I haven't been clear.  I completely understand that pitchers, even HOFers like John Smoltz, are acquired for established players.  I want to know who the pitching prospects are that contenders have that we should get.

I think it's hard enough to identify teams that will trade for 1.5 years of Machado when guys like Moustakas and Frazier likely available.

Machado is far superior.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I guess I haven't been clear.  I completely understand that pitchers, even HOFers like John Smoltz, are acquired for established players.  I want to know who the pitching prospects are that contenders have that we should get.

I think it's hard enough to identify teams that will trade for 1.5 years of Machado when guys like Moustakas and Frazier likely available.

Frazier? Everyone has someone better than him already. Houston would likely give one of their two highly touted pitchers for a healthy Britton and the Yanks would give their top SP prospect for Machado. Start there, if Britton comes out like we need.

Just now, weams said:

Machado is far superior.

He is better than Frazier and Moustakas.  Agreed.  But if you are the Red Sox, do you give up your top 5 prospects for 1.5 years of Machado, or would you give up your number 5 and 10 prospects for a few months of Moustakas and keep Devers and Groome?  Or in other words, if the Orioles were buyers, would you give up Sisco, Harvey, Akin, and Hays for Quintana or would you trade Hays and Dietz for Cobb.

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'm in the camp of trading Machado if the right deal comes along. You can move him in the offseason if a long term deal can't be worked out and still get a nice return. Worst case scenario is that you get a 5 WAR player in 2018. 

Britton and Brach (particularly) are the ones I'd really like to see moved this trade deadline.  Britton has to prove his health over the next few weeks, but Brach is a must-sell.  

I really hope we keep Manny long term & move the RPs. I don't think we are as far away as most but I think Machado is a top 10 mlb player, Gausman will be very good, and this season some of our minor leaguers have really established themselves. I also think our top 2 draft picks will be very good mlb players. We have a bullpen coming up - we aren't in as bad of a position as this article suggests, we have the middle of our infield and middle of our lineup as well as incredibly talented arms. Bundy is a bigger question to me than Gausman. Bundy, Gausman, Harvey, Hall each have #2 upside at worst. Our infield could be loaded if Mountcastle stays healthy and he, Manny or Schoop can play SS. We will have money to get a solid SP like Estrada or Cobb for 3 years. I think we are in a strong position to turn around quickly if we can get something comparable to what others got for RPs like Britton.

Givens, Scott, Castro could be a good 7/8/9 as soon as next week, much less in 2-3 years. 

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks would be pretty unhappy.

What would the board's reaction be if the O's are not contenders next year and Manny walks in free agency and all the O's get is a draft pick?

Probably the same it would be if we won the division and lost in the first round. 

Just now, backwardsk said:

He is better than Frazier and Moustakas.  Agreed.  But if you are the Red Sox, do you give up your top 5 prospects for 1.5 years of Machado, or would you give up your number 5 and 10 prospects for a few months of Moustakas and keep Devers and Groome?  Or in other words, if the Orioles were buyers, would you give up Sisco, Harvey, Akin, and Hays for Quintana or would you trade Hays and Dietz for Cobb.

If you're the Red Sox you give groome for Manny before you let Chicago give you their #12 prospect to take Frazier. 

9 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Frazier? Everyone has someone better than him already. Houston would likely give one of their two highly touted pitchers for a healthy Britton and the Yanks would give their top SP prospect for Machado. Start there, if Britton comes out like we need.

The Red Sox have a better 3B than Frazier? 

Their (Yankees) top two pitching prospects are injured. Do you trade Machado for injured prospects?

3 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Their (Yankees) top two pitching prospects are injured. Do you trade Machado for injured prospects?

No, Manny brings at least the top four prospects of any team's system or top three and a major league player as well. 

9 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I was just giving examples but I personally wouldn't care if a guy was injured - every prospect is a risk, if I'm dealing Manny I'm getting the most potential I can acquire, if an injury makes a guy cheaper, I'm all for it. I agree with the Nats drafting Giolito, I have the patience if you have the prospects. Houstons 2nd best pitching prospect just got nailed for PEDs, I'll take him too if he's cheaper now. 

Frazier is someone I have an irrational dislike of so I probably undervalue him, but I'd prefer they trade for him than Nunez, Lowrie, Franco, or Asdrubal. 

Archived