MLB Host Flores: "Orioles Need a Complete Rebuild..."

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You didn't ask me but I'd much rather hit the FA market at 26.  That is how you get a 10 year deal.

That's okay Can. Glad you answered and gave your opinion. If Manny goes FA then I think he is gone. I was hoping the FO could intice him to stay with an extension. I don't know how much he is making now. Maybe offer 5 year deal.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Most don't have much value by the time they leave.

Many didn't.    But post-Mussina, they headed off the departure of a lot of players they wanted to keep before they got to free agency (Mora, Roberts, Markakis, Jones, Hardy) so we really don't know how they'd fare in a true bidding war for one of their players because we don't have any recent examples.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Tex.

Of course they tend not to engage in them in the first place.

You will always lose the war when the player has zero interest in playing for your team. Offering more money won't change the mind of a player who is dead-set against playing for a particular club. With Tex, the Orioles were not even participating in the war in reality, even if they believed themselves to be.

Another example: Andrew Miller choosing MFY despite Houston's higher offer.

5 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

You will always lose the war when the player has zero interest in playing for your team. Offering more money won't change the mind of a player who is dead-set against playing for a particular club. With Tex, the Orioles were not even participating in the war in reality, even if they believed themselves to be.

Another example: Andrew Miller choosing MFY despite Houston's higher offer.

David Price did not want to play in Boston.

CC Sabathia did not want to pitch in the American League.

Offering more money can sometimes change a player's mind.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

David Price did not want to play in Boston.

CC Sabathia did not want to pitch in the American League.

Offering more money can sometimes change a player's mind.

Don't remember CC saying that. Can't imagine him being resolute after only 17 games in the NL, following 7 1/2 years and 237 games in Cleveland of exceptional success.

I remember Price saying he wouldn't shave his beard, hinting that he wouldn't sign with MFY.

What Boston and MFY offered Price, CC and Tex was the legitimate chance of winning World Series immediately. Baltimore, entering 2009, and Houston, entering 2015, were coming off of 68-win and 70-win seasons respectively. Miller would have done well to take the Astros' offer. Tex did the right thing for himself. The Orioles received a blessing in disguise when Tex ignored their courtship.

13 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Don't remember CC saying that. Can't imagine him being resolute after only 17 games in the NL, following 7 1/2 years and 237 games in Cleveland of exceptional success.

I remember Price saying he wouldn't shave his beard, hinting that he wouldn't sign with MFY.

What Boston and MFY offered Price, CC and Tex was the legitimate chance of winning World Series immediately. Baltimore, entering 2009, and Houston, entering 2015, were coming off of 68-win and 70-win seasons respectively. Miller would have done well to take the Astros' offer. Tex did the right thing for himself. The Orioles received a blessing in disguise when Tex ignored their courtship.

Which is true but irrelevant to what we were discussing.

Not surprisingly I can't find any pieces talking about CC wanting to stay in the National league after a perfunctory check.  I think it more had to do with wanting to bat than anything else.

On 7/11/2017 at 7:33 PM, Tx Oriole said:

I don't think ownership sees eye to eye with DD and Buck. 

Hmm, weird because I never hear anything from either of them to the contrary. Although, voicing opinions freely to a majority owner could get you fired.

Wait....

Archived