13-Game Countdown to D-Day (Decision Day)

mdbdotcom

Starting tonight against the Cubs, the O's play 13 games in 13 days. The first 10 are at home against the Cubs, Rangers and Astros. Then they go on the road to play the Rays for three.

After those 13 games there is an off day and then four more game days before the non-waiver trading deadline. 

My guess is that they intend to make a decision about how to deal at the deadline on the day off after these 13 days. Decision day.

If they go 9-4, they will be one game over .500. 8-5 would leave them one game under.

How do you think the next 13 games will affect their decision making, and do you think (or guess) the O's will be above or below .500?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I think they go 6-7 and DD tells us its just the "non-waiver" deadline and that the team will continue to evaluate their chances because "you can still get and trade players after the non-waiver deadline."  The Orioles then continue to slide and end up doing nothing.

This sounds like a facetious take but I could totally see this scenario playing out, sadly. 

26 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

This sounds like a facetious take but I could totally see this scenario playing out, sadly. 

I do think they could end up moving Britton and Brach. I think chances are slim of a rebuild that could shorten the pain by moving Machado, Jones, Trumbo, Smith, and others.

Jonathan Schoop, Orioles | $3.475MM in 2017; arb-eligible through 2019

There’s no real reason to think that Schoop will be made available, but he’s outperforming just about everyone else on this list. Through 352 plate appearances entering the All-Star break, Schoop owns a .295/.347/.536 slash with 18 long balls. That’s not quite sustainable, and the dingers will boost his arb earning power, but he’s an appealing asset if the O’s decide to consider something drastic.

MLBTR

11 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I think they go 3-10 and Duquette still doesn't sell.  I don't think Angelos is ever going to allow a midseason selloff...ever. 

And to me that's puts DD between a rock and a hard place. Team needs sell and Angelos won't allow it. We might have to be preparerd for a disappointing offseason and  a disappointing 2018. 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

And to me that's puts DD between a rock and a hard place. Team needs sell and Angelos won't allow it. We might have to be preparerd for a disappointing offseason and  a disappointing 2018. 

Next year will be disappointing. 

They'll do nothing or buy a washed up veteran pitcher

They'll spin that this was a group down year exacerbated by multiple injuries, and sell the concept that the same old tired roster + a washed up starting pitcher or two will rebound and make the playoff next year. Manny & Britton will play to FA, there will be talk of making offers and then they will both leave, the O's getting a couple comp picks (assuming Britton stays healthy).

Only way this is not true is if DD is fired

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I do think they could end up moving Britton and Brach. I think chances are slim of a rebuild that could shorten the pain by moving Machado, Jones, Trumbo, Smith, and others.

Agreed. I think the only guys they move are the relief pitchers and maybe Castillo. I think Angelos will have to be convinced and those are the only guys he'll let go. At the end of the day Brad Brach and Zach Britton don't fill seats the way Manny, Jones or Trumbo do. 

11 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I think they go 3-10 and Duquette still doesn't sell.  I don't think Angelos is ever going to allow a midseason selloff...ever. 

While I'm skeptical that Angelos will allow a sell off, it has been done. They made 6 trades of veterans over 3 days in 2000. I can't remember if there were similar circumstances then (into the 3rd year of the "dark years" is all I remember), but here's what happened then.

They were 12 to 14 games under .500 then, in that 3 day span of the trades. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2000-transactions.shtml

1 minute ago, NashLumber said:

While I'm skeptical that Angelos will allow a sell off, it has been done. They made 6 trades of veterans over 3 days in 2000. I can't remember if there were similar circumstances then (into the 3rd year of the "dark years" is all I remember), but here's what happened then.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2000-transactions.shtml

Let's hope the 2017 deadline gets better results then the 2000 one. 

Archived