Release Ubaldo Now

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Me too.    How can a 26-year old who can throw 97/98 regress so much?

It may not have anything to do with the pitching coach, but the fact that they all (starters) look pretty much alike and have the same problems, does not look good.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Me too.    How can a 26-year old who can throw 97/98 regress so much?

It's quite simple, he can't command glove side or spin a consistent breaking ball. Add in a pinch of "melting down" when the first sign of trouble comes by, and you have a guy who needs a new make over.

22 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Orioles need to release Ubaldo before tomorrow's game. Enough is enough allready. His performance is absolutely embarrassing. Why do the Orioles put up with it?

Ubaldo had the best start of the 3 against Cubs. Just sayin' We should release all of them.

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's quite simple, he can't command glove side or spin a consistent breaking ball. Add in a pinch of "melting down" when the first sign of trouble comes by, and you have a guy who needs a new make over.

Was he able to command glove side or throw a decent breaking ball during 2014-16?    

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Agree that he needs one, but the O's don't really do make-overs. They couldn't even get Tillman to follow the correct program in the offseason to prevent his most recent injury. Their tweaks to Ubaldo mostly reverted. Add in the fact that there's a new pitching coach every couple years and I don't see how they can overhaul pitchers, as much as we'd all like that to happen.

Quite simply, there's no trust left that the Orioles know how to develop or fix starting pitchers. Even Bundy finally succumbed to his lowest form: a meatball throwing flyball pitcher. 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Was he able to command glove side or throw a decent breaking ball during 2014-16?    

He commanded much better last year and the breaking ball was the best he ever threw. It just has seemed to all regress this year. Why is anyone's guess.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He commanded much better last year and the breaking ball was the best he ever threw. It just has seemed to all regress this year. Why is anyone's guess.

I was watching on gameday in his last start and the hit he gave up before the 3-run bomb went like this: called strike with a splitter, swinging strike up and in with a fastball, and then - inexplicably - a fastball down the middle on 0-2 for a base hit. The next batter immediately deposited a 3-run shot.

What could possibly ever compel you to throw, or for the catcher to call, an 0-2 fastball anywhere near the zone? It's completely indicative of what is wrong with our pitchers and/or our pitching philosophy. 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I was watching on gameday in his last start and the hit he gave up before the 3-run bomb went like this: called strike with a splitter, swinging strike up and in with a fastball, and then - inexplicably - a fastball down the middle on 0-2 for a base hit. The next batter immediately deposited a 3-run shot.

What could possibly ever compel you to throw, or for the catcher to call, an 0-2 fastball anywhere near the zone? It's completely indicative of what is wrong with our pitchers and/or our pitching philosophy. 

This is probably the most frustrating thing about our pitchers. Palmer says it 1000 times you don't have to throw a strike on 0-2, just got to make it look like one. Our guys don't seem to get this at all, especially Gausman. 

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

This is probably the most frustrating thing about our pitchers. Palmer says it 1000 times you don't have to throw a strike on 0-2, just got to make it look like one. Our guys don't seem to get this at all, especially Gausman. 

Yeah, it's bonkers, I really don't understand. This is like little league type stuff here. 

34 minutes ago, interloper said:

Buck on above (and he's said this on Gausman in the past):

Showalter on Jiménez: “I’ll tell you, his first inning, that was about as good of stuff he’s had maybe since he’ been here, but his command deserted him the second inning and balls he was trying to throw in were center cut and balls he’s trying to throw away come back over the plate.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/07/orioles-swept-by-cubs-in-first-post-break-series.html

Archived