Release Ubaldo Now

Diehard_O's_Fan

Season is close to being over. Let the young arms show what they can do. At that point we know we need to go a different direction or see if there is something there to work with. The fact that McDowell is there escapes all logic.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Because they have so many options?

Like it or not we have to find out what these guys can do. 

Wilson, Wright, Aquino, Castro, Verret, Ynoa, Nuno. 

Those 7 are all out of options for next season. So they'd have to be on the 25 or DFA. I'd like to see what Aquino and Ynoa can do in the rotation.  Get rid of Ubaldo and go to a 6 man rotation. 

DFA Ubaldo and Kim. It's time to move on. 

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Those 7 are all out of options for next season. So they'd have to be on the 25 or DFA. I'd like to see what Aquino and Ynoa can do in the rotation.  Get rid of Ubaldo and go to a 6 man rotation. 

I don't disagree, but there's little in the way of historical data to show the team will DFA a player eating significant dollars. They aren't the Red Sox.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

I don't disagree, but there's little in the way of historical data to show the team will DFA a player eating significant dollars. They aren't the Red Sox.

It came out earlier in the season that DD had the green light from ownership to cut ties with Ubaldo. We kept him around because we were clinging to hope. Well now it's time to see what Ynoa and Aquino can do. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It came out earlier in the season that DD had the green light from ownership to cut ties with Ubaldo. We kept him around because we were clinging to hope. Well now it's time to see what Ynoa and Aquino can do. 

At least that's the story they floated.

1 hour ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

The only caution is that developing pitchers should not be overmatched by the batters they face.  If a guy is working on a changeup, for example, he needs to learn how to sneak it by a so-so hitter first in the minors.  If he throws it in the bigs and every time it is a HR, he can not learn how to improve.

Of course you shouldn't rush people--that's why they shouldn't call up Keegan Akin or Tanner Scott, for instance, no matter how well they are pitching in Bowie or Frederick.  Asher, Ynoa and Aquino all have a lot of AAA experience and have all pitched in the majors before.    

56 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The options will be interesting next season.  No matter if we trade a bunch or not the 40 man will look lot different.

21 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

That's why I doubt Angelos will eat any money to release Ubaldo.

I follow this team closely, and the names floated to replace Ubaldo tickle almost zero excitement. If we had a viable replacement that promised to be better than "good Ubaldo", Ubaldo would have been gone long ago. 

The only reason the money comes into play is that some wag raises their hand in a meeting and asks why we should pay Ubaldo while at the same time watching xxx suck. Is xxx honestly penciled in as #3 in our 2019 rotation?

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think, if we wanted to, we could get Wilson, Verret and Nuno through waivers.

Any chance we could try to stretch out Castro?  Or would that be a waste of time?

If it were me, I'd DFA Ubaldo and see if I can Dump Miley. Then use the rest of the season as a try out of sorts. Call up Aquino, Asher, Wheeler, Ynoa, Wilson, and see if any of them have what it takes to start at the MLB level. They cannot do worse. 

I mean, they are moving Lucas Long into the rotation full time at Bowie, why not just do that with the Orioles? At least he has potential

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

I think, if we wanted to, we could get Wilson, Verret and Nuno through waivers.

Any chance we could try to stretch out Castro?  Or would that be a waste of time?

Castro is a bullpen guy he hasn't started a game since A ball in 2014.

3 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

If it were me, I'd DFA Ubaldo and see if I can Dump Miley. Then use the rest of the season as a try out of sorts. Call up Aquino, Asher, Wheeler, Ynoa, Wilson, and see if any of them have what it takes to start at the MLB level. They cannot do worse. 

I mean, they are moving Lucas Long into the rotation full time at Bowie, why not just do that with the Orioles? At least he has potential

Don't need to see Wilson or Asher. They are not possibilities. And Wilson can absolutely do worse.

Aquino, Ynoa (I like his stuff) and maybe even Lee.

Archived