Release Ubaldo Now

Diehard_O's_Fan

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He commanded much better last year and the breaking ball was the best he ever threw. It just has seemed to all regress this year. Why is anyone's guess.

Funny, in the first three starts of the year, I thought his breaking ball looked good.    But he's taken huge steps backwards this year.   

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Release Ubaldo months ago.

I know Ubaldo frustrates many fans. But the way Kevin has regressed and is pitching poorly he, who is supposed to be a better pitcher than Ubaldo frustrates me the most. So release Ubaldo but you still have an underperforming pitcher in Kevin. I wonder if he will get straightened out over the offseason. 

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Wilson, Wright, Aquino, Castro, Verret, Ynoa, Haven't we seen enough of these guys to know they aren't answers? Deck chairs. Meh. Trade for real SP.

You want to trade for someone to help the rotation THIS year?   That's ridiculous.

Who is available that could do that, and what would you have to give up to get them?

51 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

This is probably the most frustrating thing about our pitchers. Palmer says it 1000 times you don't have to throw a strike on 0-2, just got to make it look like one. Our guys don't seem to get this at all, especially Gausman. 

Guys, plural?

Who else throws a meatball 0-2?  

I don't think Ubaldo or Miley have actually gotten ahead of a hitter 0-2 all year, so it can't be them.

Honestly, each of our pitchers have different issues, and to me Gausman is the only one with this particular issue consistently.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Guys, plural?

I don't think Ubaldo or Miley have actually gotten ahead of a hitter 0-2 all year, so it can't be them.

Honestly, each of our pitchers have different issues, and to me Gausman is the only one with this particular issue consistently.

True. Jimenez and Tillman have the problem of getting to 0-2 and then walking the hitter which is just beyond frustrating.

Is it possible that some factors point towards keeping Ubaldo:

1. Contract money?

2. FO thinks we're STILL in the mix and he's going to 'turn it around'?

3. No one capable in the minors according to the FO (won't risk young player's fragile psyche)?

4. DD has the farm as the main avenue for temporary replacements.. if he releases Ubaldo, he'll lose another option(able) pitcher?

5. Ubaldo is a nice guy?

Yea.. I'm pisstrated.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Guys, plural?

They all do this. 

0-2 counts

• Ubaldo Jimenez:  .179/.179/.321 - .500 OPS, 1 HR
  • Kevin Gausman: .268/.268/.415 - .683 OPS, 2 HR
  • Chris Tillman: .118/.118/.118 - .235 OPS, 0 HR
  • Dylan Bundy: .105/.103/.184 - .287 OPS, 1 HR
  • Wade Miley: .182/.182/.318 - .500 OPS, 1 HR

So the collective rotation has issued 5 homers all season on an 0-2 count. That's not bad.

While researching this, Miley has allowed 5 homers on the first pitch. Bundy 4. Tillman 2. Gausman 4. Jimenez 3. That's 18 homers on the first pitch.

11 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

0-2 counts

• Ubaldo Jimenez:  .179/.179/.321 - .500 OPS, 1 HR
  • Kevin Gausman: .268/.268/.415 - .683 OPS, 2 HR
  • Chris Tillman: .118/.118/.118 - .235 OPS, 0 HR
  • Dylan Bundy: .105/.103/.184 - .287 OPS, 1 HR
  • Wade Miley: .182/.182/.318 - .500 OPS, 1 HR

So the collective rotation has issued 5 homers all season on an 0-2 count. That's not bad.

While researching this, Miley has allowed 5 homers on the first pitch. Bundy 4. Tillman 2. Gausman 4. Jimenez 3. That's 18 homers on the first pitch.

Thanks!   Like I said, Gausman seemed to me to be the only one that was having serious trouble on 0-2 counts.

The other guys have lots and lots of issues, but not that.

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

You want to trade for someone to help the rotation THIS year?   That's ridiculous.

Who is available that could do that, and what would you have to give up to get them?

No I want to trade Britton and Manny for a boat load of top SP prospects.

Archived