Chance Sisco 2018 Starting Catcher

Diehard_O's_Fan

3 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

According to Roch at masnsports.com, Chance Sisco will be the 2018 starting catcher. I am a little surprised by this. I thought the Orioles would bring back Wellington and ease Chance into the role. Do you think the Orioles are unhappy with Beef? Thoughts?

I don't know about that. I thought Caleb would be next in line. Sisco should be eased in I think.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

What do you think Hays would do for attendance? Speedy player with power.  Fans made want to come to the park to see him.

Not sure putting a few more fans in the seats is as valuable as a 7th year of control.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What do you think Hays would do for attendance? Speedy player with power.  Fans made want to come to the park to see him.

Really?    90% of fans have never heard of him.    Unless a guy has been super-hyped like Wieters or Manny, I don't think they make the slightest dent in attendance when they're called up.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Really?    90% of fans have never heard of him.    Unless a guy has been super-hyped like Wieters or Manny, I don't think they make the slightest dent in attendance when they're called up.  

This.  I don't think that 90% of the fans that watch games have the slightest clue who either Chance Sisco or Austin Hayes are.  Nor would they know D.L. Hall from Adam Hall from Monty Hall.

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If Austin Hays is one of your best 25 players/ 4 outfielders, you put him on the opening day roster. I'm really not concerned about team control in 2023, or whenever. 

Depends on whether you realistically believe you are a contender going into the season.   If not, it's crazy to have him on the OD roster.     Personally, I'd probably rather have him spend some time in AAA in any event.    

Just now, Frobby said:

Depends on whether you realistically believe you are a contender going into the season.   If not, it's crazy to have him on the OD roster.     Personally, I'd probably rather have him spend some time in AAA in any event.    

AAA is for MLB rejects waiting for their next chance.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Joseph should be the starting catcher next year. His CERA is 4.36.

Castillo needs to be traded before the end of the year.  He should not be on the O's next year.  His CERA is 6.03.

That's pretty crazy. He always outperformed Wieters except that awful 2016. With those numbers he should be catching every day. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Joseph should be the starting catcher next year. His CERA is 4.36.

Castillo needs to be traded before the end of the year.  He should not be on the O's next year.  His CERA is 6.03.

Sisco is probably called up in September but will probably not be on the team next year because he can't control the running game.  60 out of 74 steals attempt have been successful again him this year.   He spends next year trying to improve that at AAA.

Austin Wynns should be the backup catcher next year. He is a good defensive catcher and has thrown out 46% of runners this year.   He also has an excellent OBP.  He is currently 289/383/415/789 at AA.  He is 26 years old.

I'd be fine with a Joseph/Wynns catching tandem next year. Wieters taking that offer two years ago really screwed over Joseph and this organization, because Joseph has always produced both offensively and defensively when he plays everyday. Arizona could use a catcher. Wonder if there could be fit there once again?

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He's a converted shortstop from High School, but hasn't played anywhere else with the Orioles other than catcher.

And Mancini was first baseman. Givens was a shortstop. Sometimes, things happen.

If Beef is traded before the deadline, I really am curious what they decide to do.

Joseph starting, then what? Do they feel comfortable with bringing Sisco up now because of his bat, or do they bring up Pena and then let Sisco come up in September? If Sisco comes up now, do they bring up a 3rd one in September (Pena, Wynns, Perez?)

You all know I'm a big fan of Wynns. But, I'm also realistic with the Orioles brass love affair with Sisco. Then again, Buck does prefer "defense first" players, which Sisco won't provide, compared to Wynns.

Pena and Perez are depth in the system, so would the Orioles call one of them up in place of 2 that they could try for the future?

Could Sisco also be on the trade block for the right price?

Sisco has no value to a competitor and the Orioles shouldn't be trading for another teams veterans

40 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

AAA is for MLB rejects waiting for their next chance.

Aaron Judge played 154 games of AAA.    Gary Sanchez played 109, Mookie Betts played 45, George Springer played 75, Carlos Correa played 24, Wil Myers played 173, Francisco Lindor played 97, Jonathan Schoop played 70, Trey Mancini played 125, Mike Trout played 20, Bryce Harper played 21.    I'll stop there.    Not many guys go straight from AA to the majors.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

99% imo 

The guy isn't a top 100 prospect there is no hype to see any of these guys. Rushing them would be ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Aaron Judge played 154 games of AAA.    Gary Sanchez played 109, Mookie Betts played 45, George Springer played 75, Carlos Correa played 24, Wil Myers played 173, Francisco Lindor played 97, Jonathan Schoop played 70, Trey Mancini played 125, Mike Trout played 20, Bryce Harper played 21.    I'll stop there.    Not many guys go straight from AA to the majors.

Some of them were still up at a younger age than Hays is now. Some of them had an opportunity to split a full season AA/AAA. Some didn't perform as well as Hays at AA. Some were blocked by guys at the major league level.

If you want to list examples, at least limit them to guys on a similar path as Hays.

Archived