Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

Lecroy has always been over rated imo.  He is negative war  this year on defense and has a 29 percent caught stealing to Castillo 50 percent.  I don't think he will get much.  Texas traded a future star in Bronson to the Brewers last year.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Trying to get the best deal for Britton.  Nationals, Dodgers, Astros.   This is prime time for GMs with major players on the market.

Do anyone of you have confidence on deals that DD will make?   I would rather pay Zach than get prospects that are duds.   I think we had a bad year this year partly because Zach got hurt.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What's the point of this thread, exactly?    

Dan will be up late. 

Dan will be grumpy tomorrow. 

Dan will need some coffee in the morning (if he drinks that stuff....yyeeecck)

Dan will be taking a cat nap at 405pm

I'm not very good at this, where is Larryt when you need him! 

This is about as exciting as it get for a GM.   The O's have major players to trade.  Tonight is the crunch time for Dan.  He needs tomorrow to get whatever he sees as the best deal approved by Peter.  Always a tough thing to do.  

I am going to be watch the wire tonight to see what happens.  Probably more interesting than most of the games lately.

Whats the point of your question?

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Lecroy has always been over rated imo.  He is negative war  this year on defense and has a 29 percent caught stealing to Castillo 50 percent.  I don't think he will get much.  Texas traded a future star in Bronson to the Brewers last year.

I thought only DD gave up young talent and was terrible at trades? 

Talk about a catchers stock falling.  

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

Why would they pay him 8m when the option is for 7m? Pathetic? Hardly.

If you want to nitpick over the a $1million difference in the price of his option, good for you. 

Regardless, paying him that much next year would absolutely be pathetic, when he's shown to be our second best catcher this season.

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Eh, I would be shocked if Zach is going anywhere. We may not have what it takes to win this year, so the question is do we play for next year or do we play for the distant future. I think the Orioles have shown enough that DD is not going to blow it up. That means keeping Zach and Manny and most likely Brach, and going for it next year after clearing Ubaldo, Miley, and JJ's contracts. Hopefully we get a nugget back for Smith or Castillo.

Why do think that a decision whether to "blow it up" Is being made by Duquette rather than one or more of those above him on the Orioles letterhead, all of whom are named Angelos?

It's inconceivable to me that the Angeloses have said to Duquette, "We're kind of on the fence here, Dan, about whether to keep this team together for this year and next year, or to make trades that will help us improve the team, especially the starting pitching, for the future. You should watch closely in July and then decide whether the team impresses you enough that you decide to keep it together.  And please keep in touch to let us know what your decision is and whether you trade any of our guys." Do you think that's what's happening?

Isn't it more likely that the Angelos brain trust (such as it is) really wants to retain any chance of winning in the near term, but has acceded to suggestions (whether by Duquette or someone else) to listen to offers for Britton, Brach, Castillo and Smith (and maybe O'Day), to see whether any of them is so good that they can't turn it down, after much pondering and evaluating the results of the inevitable medical exams?

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

If you want to nitpick over the a $1million difference in the price of his option, good for you. 

Regardless, paying him that much next year would absolutely be pathetic, when he's shown to be our second best catcher this season.

I want to nitpick over it, because you left it out on purpose to forward your ridiculous agenda. There are lot of things to be angry about, 7m dollars for Castillo shouldn't be one of them.

5 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Do anyone of you have confidence on deals that DD will make?   I would rather pay Zach than get prospects that are duds.   I think we had a bad year this year partly because Zach got hurt.

Dan knows he needs better starting pitching to compete next season   Trading Zach or Brach is about the only way for him to get it.  The O's are not going to spend big on a FA starter.  And FA starters don't come to pitch in Camden Yards.  Dan has to get his starter through trade.  Trade tonight is his best chance for a big return because Zach or Brach both will be with their new team for two pennant races. This is the best value that Britton  and Brach will probably have.

Archived