Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

Just now, ScottieBaseball said:

The fact that the Orioles keep giving away international slots brings about a few feelings for me...I already have little confidence in their ability to scout internationally and develop players (althought it's gotten marginally better over the last few years), but I can't help but wonder if they're trading them away because they also have no confidence in their international scouting/development...

As long as they get reasonable value for the slots, I don't have a problem with what they're doing.  

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I'm maybe renting, but certainly not buying, this from Rosenthal.  If no deal is done once again it's Angelos the villain in Rosenthal's next piece.  How would Peter know, in advance, what a "big haul" is in order to give thumbs up/down?  Plus, and I could very well be wrong, I don't think Peter is as hands-on as in years past.

Unless Brady is sitting with Peter.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I'm not doubting that it happened, I just said that it ended up working out just fine for Ken and that Ken doesn't make things up to get back at him. that would be unprofessional and although he very well may dislike/hate Angelos, he's too much of a professional to make things up about him.

Totally agree. Don't think he ever well. 

3 minutes ago, ScottieBaseball said:

The fact that the Orioles keep giving away international slots brings about a few feelings for me...I already have little confidence in their ability to scout internationally and develop players (althought it's gotten marginally better over the last few years), but I can't help but wonder if they're trading them away because they also have no confidence in their international scouting/development...

What's wrong with their international scouting, especially in Latin america? With very little budget, Calvin Maduro was able to sign Schoop and Eduardo Rodriguez and could have gotten a few really big stars who ended up signing for big money into the system if he had some money.

Just now, Ruzious said:

As long as they get reasonable value for the slots, I don't have a problem with what they're doing.  

Are they getting reasonablle value for the slots?  It's more of a rhetorical question than anything, but I'm curious how you (and others) feel about it.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Why would Rosenthal and Cutillo both report that Angelos is involved at this point? Now maybe one is pulling from the other, but it makes sense to me. Doesn't mean Peter will do the evaluation, but ti certainly follows his M.O. that he must finalize all major deals. There's a reason Chris Davis has that huge contract and it's not because Duquette wanted to give it to him.

IF I wanted to give Ken credit, I'd say he's helping drive up the price for Britton.  We heard several days ago that Angelos agreed to trade from the bullpen.  As to Davis, Angelos had 4 years to see what he could do, he has to trust his baseball professionals on prospects.  

Just now, Tony-OH said:

What's wrong with their international scouting, especially in Latin america? With very little budget, Calvin Maduro was able to sign Schoop and Eduardo Rodriguez and could have gotten a few really big stars who ended up signing for big money into the system if he had some money.

I forgot about Rodriguez, but Schoop is really the only international guy in my recent memory who's been a contributor at the big league level.  If it's a budget issue and not an actual scouting issue, I'll certainly take your word for it.  

Archived