Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How good is this bullpen at the moment?

Britton, Brach, Givens, O'day, Bleier, Castro, Hart

If everyone's actually healthy, that's a very solid pen. Backend is particularly strong. The problem is, of course, that the O's rarely get to use it because the SP is so poor.

5 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

For an arm like Kahnle who is under control through 2020, I'm kind of disappointed in the return. I don't know if people are aware what a dominating force he has been this year.

2.50ERA 1.47FIP 1.63xFIP 15.00K/9 1.75BB/9

The guy has been an absolute monster.

He was a rule 5 from the Yankees. Wasn't he?

5 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Yankees could win the WS as a result of this trade. I would say they got the better end of the deal. If they upgrade their rotation, they could possibly win the AL East.

What would they give us for Tillman?

40 minutes ago, weams said:

We can now stop hoping that an executive change is likely to do much good here. So I do think we will trade all of our slot money.

Not anything unexpected this mornings news. Profar is interesting since he's blocked. No longer the uber prospect and he hasn't hit at the majors yet. I wonder if he can be had for a C+/- prospect.

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Not anything unexpected this mornings news. Profar is interesting since he's blocked. No longer the uber prospect and he hasn't hit at the majors yet. I wonder if he can be had for a C+/- prospect.

I like Profar, but he's only OPS'ing .799 in the PCL as a 24 year old.  I do like the BA-OBP separation.  He's hitting for about as much power as Chance Sisco.  Sisco (much alligned here) is probably a better bat and two years younger just for some perspective. 

If the Rangers are buying I imagine he'll be on the block for a major leaguer. Prospect for prospect deals rarely happen. 

The Orioles have the top position player (that should be available) and also 2-3 of the top relievers on the market.... I sure hope we can get some kind of top prospect(s) in return for these guys, if we do nothing then you can just tell there is a disconnect at the FO level.  It's time to move on and start rebuilding

11 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

I don't know if it could be much less like the Andrew Miller trade.

The O's gave up their No. 3 in E-Rod for a powerhouse relief pitcher that they hoped put them over the top. They had the division well in hand.  They were rolling. Miller was just a bonus.

Martinez is a bold move from a team that's in the WC race and is desperate to return to postseason play.

It's a bit of an exaggeration to say we had the division "well in hand"   when we traded for Miller.  We had a 1.5 game lead on the Blue Jays, 5 on the Yankees.   The O's were playing well, having gone 17-8 in July, but there was definitely a race going on at the time.    We went 19-9 in August while the Jays went 9-17 and the Yankees went 15-13, and suddenly we had a 9 game lead and we coasted in from there.    

Archived