Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, birdwatcher55 said:

Beane has run that franchise into the ground. I'm surprised ownership keeps this guy on the payroll. A's fans really deserve better, what few of them that are.

And now I read that the $1.5M in international bonus slots went the other way, from Oakland to New York.

So does that mean Beane doesn't believe in international players either?

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If the Sun fired Rosenthal because Angelos pressured them, then shame on them.    That's not how newspapers with any integrity operate.   

Ken went to the Sporting News. I mean that had to be a big pay raise. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

What did we pay for Miranda? Of course, he is gone now.

BTW, speaking of Milranda, here's what Duqutte thought of him when they signed him and before they gave him away for an expensive Miley. 

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

You can't trade the best Closer in the game and one that had arguably the best year in baseball on a contending team the Orioles hoped to be.  Like it or not perception is a big part of making moves.

I didn't expect they'd be contending.

With some luck they're the third best team in the AL East. 

Just now, birdwatcher55 said:

Beane has run that franchise into the ground. I'm surprised ownership keeps this guy on the payroll. A's fans really deserve better, what few of them that are.

He runs a bare bones franchise ...Is underpaid compared to other GMS and has a very low payroll threshold. That is why they are pretty happy with him.

Just now, SteveA said:

And now I read that the $1.5M in international bonus slots went the other way, from Oakland to New York.

So does that mean Beane doesn't believe in international players either?

Nope that means this system is broke and the rich keep getting richer.  The non LA, BOS and NY teams trade their slots to them so they can blow over their allotment.  There needs to just be a draft.  

Can someone show me where it says Rosenthal was fired by the Sun?  My understanding always was that he moved on to The Sporting News.  I think he was always a guy with national aspirations.  

Here is an article on him here:

Rosenthal also said the newspaper had let several of his well-respected colleagues go, and he wondered if he would also, ultimately, meet the same fate. So he left the newspaper in 2000 for the Sporting News and eventually landed at Fox in 2005, where he is one of the network's most visible broadcasters.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW, speaking of Milranda, here's what Duqutte thought of him when they signed him and before they gave him away for an expensive Miley. 

Good assessment.  I'm thinking Buck wanted a vet in the rotation like Miley and didn't want to give an unknown a chance.  

Archived