Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

3 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Do we really want to go out of our way to acquire a 24-year-old DH? Especially since we already have a 25-year-old that's really best suited at... DH. 

Maybe you are watching a different player than I am.   Mancini is playing a good left field IMO.  But I don't want to add Schwarber.  Maybe Santander in September.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe you are watching a different player than I am.   Mancini is playing a good left field IMO.  But I don't want to add Schwarber.  Maybe Santander in September.

Nope. Not a left fielder. He's a left fielder like Nelson Cruz is an outfielder. That cost the Rangers a World Series once. 

Just now, weams said:

Nope. Not a left fielder. He's a left fielder like Nelson Cruz is an outfielder. That cost the Rangers a World Series once. 

This. Mancini is passable at best. Honestly best case scenario is that we dump Trumbo and have Davis and Mancini share time at DH and first. 

I prefer if my outfield was manned by actual outfielders. 

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm not discounting Mancini's performance in LF. But in a perfect world, one of our more natural young outfielders takes over that role and he goes to one of his true homes - 1B or DH.

16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

This is the same reason that I have little to no interest in getting Calhoun in a package for Britton from the Dodgers.

Agreed.

If the Dodgers won't consider Buehler or Verdugo, you tell them to go pound sand.

8 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

This. Mancini is passable at best. Honestly best case scenario is that we dump Trumbo and have Davis and Mancini share time at DH and first. 

I prefer if my outfield was manned by actual outfielders. 

I agree that Mancini is still learning left field but he covers a fair amount of ground and gets to a lot balls.  Not a butcher in the least.  I think his throws will get better when he learns to position himself before he throws.   I am pretty satisfied with what he has done so far and quite surprised considering he has not played out there much.

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

Agreed.

If the Dodgers won't consider Buehler or Verdugo, you tell them to go pound sand.

Really Its likely Buehler or nothing as the lead piece IMO. The Orioles can't work on Alvarez and his wildness despite the potential due the their inability to develop. Buehler looks close to ready and control is a strength.

If you cant get both you take Buehler, White, Stewart, and perhaps Heredia as a position prospect

Just now, wildcard said:

I agree that Mancini is still learning left field but he covers a fair amount of ground and gets to a lot balls.  Not a butcher in the least.  I think his throws will get better when he learns to position himself before he throws.   I am pretty satisfied with what he has done so far and quite surprised considering he has not played out there much.

He's certainly been better than anyone should have expected but having an actual outfielder out there would be better.  I think we have gotten so used to poor outfield defense that Mancini looks better than he actually is.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's certainly been better than anyone should have expected but having an actual outfielder out there would be better.  I think we have gotten so used to poor outfield defense that Mancini looks better than he actually is.

No, I know what a poor outfielder looks like.   He is better going to the wall than Trumbo.   I have not seen the mistakes that Cruz made (though Cruz has a better arm).  Covers more ground the Kim.  He is faster than Smith  but Smith takes better routes which is because of his experience.  He is not in Jones' class but  he does pretty well.   He doesn't have the mobility of McLouth but we are talking left field not center. When I combo Mancini OPS with what he does in the field he is really hard to replace out there.

Its hard to find a guy the hits like Mancini and fields like Heyward.   Maybe Hays will do that but if he does he will move Jones to right.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interested in your opinion on this. Which should be a higher priority:

1. Get a real left fielder and move Mancini to DH
  2. Get a real center fielder and move Jones to RF

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I am not CoC but I think getting an effective starter will be the higher priority.   Mancini is fine in left.  Hays may be the guy the move Jones to right.

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

#2.  Also #1 is really hard with Trumbo and Davis under contract.

Archived