Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

He hasn't shown good command at any point this year.   He had an extremely long rehab stint and "rust" really shouldn't be an excuse at this point.

He's pitched in 16 games this year and has had a clean inning only twice.    Anybody without orange-colored glasses can see that he hasn't been that dominant at any point this season.    ERA up, WHIP up, GB% down, K% down, BB% up.     

Guess Roch has orange colored glasses. *unfollow*

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

No hitter wants to face him.....no front office wants to pay him? This article is all over the place from a homer that certainly doesn't want to see him face the Yankees in some other Jersey.

Worthless really worthless 

Just now, ISU94 said:

Guess Roch has orange colored glasses.

He definitely does.     Look, I'm not saying that Zach couldn't lock in soon and have a great final two months -- he certainly could.    But there's a risk that he won't, and that's going to prevent his trade value from being as good as it could have been if he were pitching at his best right now.     

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He definitely does.     Look, I'm not saying that Zach couldn't lock in soon and have a great final two months -- he certainly could.    But there's a risk that he won't, and that's going to prevent his trade value from being as good as it could have been if he were pitching at his best right now.     

Yeah, there's a risk. But considering he looks good right now (yes, he may have some control issues, but hes still hitting 97/98 with a lot of break on his pitches making hitters look completely clueless, especially Gattis yesterday) and he seems to look better as far as stuff and velo goes each time out I really don't think teams are going to be scared off. Gotta take risks and some of these teams competing have a glut of people in the minors/guys with no real spot anytime soon at a certain position on their team. As long as they think Britton is on the right track than they should get the more controlled Britton come playoff time as he gets his feet under him.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pretty much what I feared/expected.   

Yep, easy to understand why someone would feel that way.

Britton & Machado could have dealt and the organization could have flipped the script this offseason. Unreasonable? Eh... if the Orioles were realistic about where they stood in the division going into the year, they would have realized that maybe they're the 3rd best team with some good fortune or bad fortune for Tampa & Toronto.

If the right deals were made, yada yada yada the Orioles wouldn't have skipped much of a beat. Now? Who knows...

8 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Why be sorry - you hardly ever post here any more.  We can just ban you I guess though....:ph34r:

The man, the myth, the legend..... BOBMC!!!!!!!!!!!!

My tapatalk app was an abject failure and my work laptop can't handle the new website. Plus I'm married now!!!!! :disco:

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Britton & Machado could have dealt and the organization could have flipped the script this offseason. Unreasonable? Eh... if the Orioles were realistic about where they stood in the division going into the year, they would have realized that maybe they're the 3rd best team with some good fortune or bad fortune for Tampa & Toronto.

If the right deals were made, yada yada yada the Orioles wouldn't have skipped much of a beat. Now? Who knows...

I really can't fault a team that made the playoffs for not trading away their key players in the offseason.    I don't think it was at all obvious that New York would be better than us this year.    As it is, they're on pace to win 85 games, compared to 84 last season.     Our starting pitching has been far worse than even the relatively low expectations we had, and that's basically the whole story.

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The man, the myth, the legend..... BOBMC!!!!!!!!!!!!

My tapatalk app was an abject failure and my work laptop can't handle the new website. Plus I'm married now!!!!! :disco:

So you're home now with wifey and posting on OH?  wtf?????  :x  Is "Little Steven" in the oven?

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I would never have guessed that Manny would have such a low BABIP or that Britton would have been injured this year.  Nor would I have seriously considered trading either of them before this season.  I would have played this season out and made those moves at the deadline, if necessary.  The only difference between me and Duquette is that after watching the actual performance for nearly 4 months, I'm certain that we can't contend over the rest of this season.  If you take Duquette at his public word (which I tend to discount), then he still thinks we could.

Just now, Frobby said:

I really can't fault a team that made the playoffs for not trading away their key players in the offseason.    I don't think it was at all obvious that New York would be better than us this year.    As it is, they're on pace to win 85 games, compared to 84 last season.     Our starting pitching has been far worse than even the relatively low expectations we had, and that's basically the whole story.

Eh, I kinda get it... but at the same time, how long can you win with smoke & mirrors? They've managed to overachieve the last few years, sometimes SIGNIFICANTLY... but this season is what I think most people would expect from a team with their pitching staff.

I was barking the shop Britton/Machado back in December. (That was my SPORTSGUY impression. Pretty good, huh?)

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I would never have guessed that Manny would have such a low BABIP or that Britton would have been injured this year.  Nor would I have seriously considered trading either of them before this season.  I would have played this season out and made those moves at the deadline, if necessary.  The only difference between me and Duquette is that after watching the actual performance for nearly 4 months, I'm certain that we can't contend over the rest of this season.  If you take Duquette at his public word (which I tend to discount), then he still thinks we could.

Not to mention Gausman has been WAY worse than anyone could have ever imagined and Tilly is still not back to form...yet we still sit only a few games back of .500 with all the problems that have occurred/guys regressing (Trumbo isn't being what we had expected power wise either).

It's obvious though that this team isn't competing with the rotation sitting the way it is and we can't get any starters besides maybe trying to buy low on a guy with upside (wouldnt be opposed to this if we can trade prospects that are meh for young guys that have upside/need a change of scenery (not giving up any good prospects, but just more so a team trying to rid themselves of someone that obviously just isn't going to work there).

But yeah, all these people saying we should have just dealt everyone this past offseason I feel like is just lookign at things because of where we are now. Sure, I didn't love our chances of winning it all with this rotation but with guys like DD and Buck who want to win they aren't tearing it down when we have consistently been one of the best teams in the AL the past few years without losing anyone and having Bundy and Gausman now in the rotation who both have upsides/have shown serious promise which we haven't exactly been loaded with in recent years.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Eh, I kinda get it... but at the same time, how long can you win with smoke & mirrors? They've managed to overachieve the last few years, sometimes SIGNIFICANTLY... but this season is what I think most people would expect from a team with their pitching staff.

I was barking the shop Britton/Machado back in December. (That was my SPORTSGUY impression. Pretty good, huh?)

I'm always in favor of seeing what return you could get for players, as you were advocating here.    But it would have been tough to pull the trigger.    In any event, there's no indication that DD put out any feelers.    

In terms of what people expected from this pitching staff, I don't think anyone had reason to expect them to be nearly this bad.   Pretty much every starter has an ERA at least a run and a half above his career average going into the season.  

Gausman: 6.11 vs. 3.97

Tillman: 7.01 vs. 4.13

Miley: 5.58 vs. 4.18

Jimenez: 7.19 vs. 4.13

Bundy: 4.53 vs. 3.96

I would not have expected either Ubaldo or Miley to pitch to their career average, but even so, nobody realistically could have foreseen the total meltdown that's occurred.    

Archived