Glenn Clark: Orioles Should Entertain Offers On Adam Jones, Manny Machado

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did we ever figure out whether Jones, having passed 10 years of service time during this season, now has veto power over trades?    I read the old CBA (new one wasn't available) and it was ambiguous whether the service time requirement for 10/5 is as of the start of the season, or as of the day of the trade.    If I had to guess, I'd say his veto right probably kicked in when he passed 10 years service time during the year.    

43 minutes ago, interloper said:

A pointless exercise, this.

Agreed. No way either of these guys are traded. I think Dan and Buck saw what the yankees did last year and are trying to replicate it. They're just going to trade the relievers and free agents in an attempt to retool. Is it the best idea? probably not but that's what I see happening

46 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Who's making an offer for Jones?

This. If anyone offers you a real prospect along with taking the contract you take it laughing the whole way. He's been worth 1.7fWAR over the last 237 games and he'll be paid roughly 7M the rest of this year and 17M next year.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Who's making an offer for Jones?

His production is still fine, he offers power at a premium spot, he can still go over the wall and get a ball and (I can't  stress this enough) every article I read about the US WBC team, and every quote about leadership said Adam Jones was the unquestioned leader of that team.

I think the Orioles might get some calls from whoever loses out on J.D Martinez.  But if you are the GM of say Arizona, and you go ask Paul Goldschmidt if Adam Jones is worth going and getting, I know what that answer will be. 

10 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

His production is still fine, he offers power at a premium spot, he can still go over the wall and get a ball and (I can't  stress this enough) every article I read about the US WBC team, and every quote about leadership said Adam Jones was the unquestioned leader of that team.

I think the Orioles might get some calls from whoever loses out on J.D Martinez.  But if you are the GM of say Arizona, and you go ask Paul Goldschmidt if Adam Jones is worth going and getting, I know what that answer will be. 

Fortunately Goldschmidt isn't their GM. AJ 0.3 fWAR -11.8 UZR/150.

16.33 M this season, 17.33 M next

19 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/cafardos-latest-gray-brewers-cards-dodgers-royals-tigers-bosox.html 

Dodgers are in on Martinez as well. If they lose out on Martinez, wonder if they would have interest in Jones. They have the money to spend and Adam would likely play right field where his range would be better

Archived