The Norfolk shuttle has stopped

wildcard

The O's have not brought up a pitcher from Norfolk to Bowie since July the 5th.  They promoted Aquino on that day and sent him back on July 6th.   Since the pen has stabilized around Richard Bleier (Rocky) and Miguel Castro.   After watching pitchers come up and down on almost a daily basis this is quite  a change.   Two weeks with the same pitching staff.  Rocky and Castro are both Duquette  El Cheapo  acquisitions and they are both doing well.

Over the past few weeks we have seen Washington DFA'd and Tillman activated and Gentry DFA'd  and Davis activated from the DL.  These are normal injury moves and not really shuttle activity.

The only other move has been Giavotella up and Jansh DFA'd.   That is a shuttle move but without a pitcher being involved. 

Castro, Bleier and Hart have all been good. Hart's been underrated on here. 

I'll leave the future up to DD, but if we want to win now we should really consider an 8 man pen. DFA Kim, and always have a fresh Aquino, Ynoa, Asher up. That way if the SP just doesn't have it one day we can go to the pen early. 

I noted the same thing. The shuttle was mostly to accommodate an extra position player. However, they have decided that Mancini's defense is OK enough that the Gentry spot is no longer needed. Plus Gentry was awful when given the chance. 

That said, Bleier and Castro have been good, and the bullpen has been rested since the AS break. If the starters have a bad series we could probably see Asher come back. I would like to see Richard Rodriguez at some point. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'll leave the future up to DD, but if we want to win now we should really consider an 8 man pen. DFA Kim, and always have a fresh Aquino, Ynoa, Asher up. That way if the SP just doesn't have it one day we can go to the pen early. 

I like the 8 man pen idea.   But mostly to put either Miley or Ubaldo in the pen.

I think if Kim was DFA'd some team would claim him.   Given playing time he is going to produce a good OBP.  He still has 1.8m  on his contract.

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I noted the same thing. The shuttle was mostly to accommodate an extra position player. However, they have decided that Mancini's defense is OK enough that the Gentry spot is no longer needed. Plus Gentry was awful when given the chance. 

That said, Bleier and Castro have been good, and the bullpen has been rested since the AS break. If the starters have a bad series we could probably see Asher come back. I would like to see Richard Rodriguez at some point. 

Seems like Rodriguez best chance for a promotion is if someone is traded or injured. Wotherspoon may be ahead on his at this point though.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

When was the last medium or high leverage situation Hart pitched?

There have been a couple reasons why the shuttle has stopped, for now.    First of all, Castro and Bleier have shown they don't deserve to be shuttled.    Second, with Britton and O'Day healthy, it's easier to fill the 5th, 6th and 7th innings.    Third, the all-star break gave everyone several days to freshen up.    And of course, the three quality starts this week kept us from overusing the pen.

Archived