Orioles 2nd round pick - CF Xavier Avery (HS)

Is there any reason why this guy had to be drafted in the 4th pick in the 2nd round? I'm sure we could have waited on him...

Do you have any clue what you are talking about? Did you scout any of the players who you "think" the Orioles should have selected ahead of Avery? Do you really think you know more about these players and how to draft players than Joe Jordan and the right of the scouting department?

If so, I for one, am glad they are running the Orioles scouting department while you sit back and arm chair quarterback their selections.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any reason why this guy had to be drafted in the 4th pick in the 2nd round? I'm sure we could have waited on him...

He was ranked in the top 60 or so. Picking him 50th isn't a stretch at all.

Don't we already have a good, young, CFer?:confused:

This is the other aspect to this...I guess you could always shift Jones to LF(or this kid) but I don't get spending such a high pick on a position you should have filled for the next 8-10 years.

I know you just draft best player available and not worry about position in baseball...I get that. But how much higher could this kid have been over Ladendorf and Melville?

Jordan likes athletes but still, this seems to be a bad pick for us and what we need to be doing.

8 hr's in 66 AB's & he doesn't have any power???

1 in every 8 ABs is pretty good!

Anyone know how many 2b's & 3B's???

I cant believe there is a worth while SS or 1B ???

Wonder who's picking?

HR totals are almost worthless in HS when they are facing much lesser competition and also using aluminum bats.

Its gonna be 4-5 years before this guy is eve close to ready for the majors. Reimold and Jones are not concerns at all.

Say it with me:

You don't draft for need in baseball!

This also means you don't worry about taking a guy at a position you have filled, and you absolutely don't worry about taking a guy at a position you think you might have filled. You just take the best guy on your board. It appears Avery was the best guy on our board (or at least best hitter on the board).

Its gonna be 4-5 years before this guy is eve close to ready for the majors. Reimold and Jones are not concerns at all.

Say it with me:

You don't draft for need in baseball!

This also means you don't worry about taking a guy at a position you have filled, and you absolutely don't worry about taking a guy at a position you think you might have filled. You just take the best guy on your board. It appears Avery was the best guy on our board (or at least best hitter on the board).

That's the thing with Jordan's picks. A Kieron Pope might not pan out, but a Chorye Spoone does.

Found this on the Braves Report website:

Is one of the fastest players in the draft, running a 6.2 60 yard dash. Was a four star football recruit. Due to his speed he is projected to be an above average outfielder. He still has a long ways to go with the bat. Needs to improve his approach at the plate. He is still extremely raw. Both in his skill set and his instincts. Is one of the best pure athletes in the draft. Also possesses one of the biggest upsides in the draft.

These last two reasons are without a doubt why he was picked.

I have little doubt the upside is there....That is obviously why Jordan wanted him.

But again, just like Matusz, does that mean he was the best pick for us?

Obviously time will tell and obviously Jordan knows more than any of us but there it seems pretty obvious that higher rated talent was there for us to take,

I have little doubt the upside is there....That is obviously why Jordan wanted him.

But again, just like Matusz, does that mean he was the best pick for us?

Obviously time will tell and obviously Jordan knows more than any of us but there it seems pretty obvious that higher rated talent was there for us to take,

I think what is obvious is that Jordan thinks Avery has a much better chance of realizing his upside than most, if not all, of the other scouting agencies do.

Avery has mentions all over the BA web-site for his showing in the showcases last summer. He was a BA Pre-Season AA alongside many first rounders discussed today.

I found the following quote in one BA article -

"Wow. That one caught me by surprise," said an AL crosschecker. "I had this guy down as a slap-type, backside hitter with plus speed, but he's got unbelievable strength in there. He's got a long ways to go, but there are lots of raw tools there."

In a recent BA chat, Avery was mentioned along with several other HS guys as a potentially difficult sign. We'll see.

Archived