Orioles 2nd round pick - CF Xavier Avery (HS)

That means fast, questionable bat ("he is still a ways away with his bat.."etc.), didn't play any real competition, anyway,... "COULD BE AN EXPONENTAL IMPROVER.." what does that mean? Kieron Pope w/o the power?

Now granted DH, I don't know if he'll be a flop. But what kind of a second-rounder scouting report is that for a team desperate for hitting? Couldn't they find ONE other prospect who's better than this guy? Why couldn't they have drafted somebody with a hitting pedigree as impressive as this guy's ability to run around real fast? I w/have much rather they drafted a slow guy w/a weak arm but a powerful bat. He could play either first or be a DH-and actually be of use.

All the Orioles seem to have drafted is a real swell 4x100 relay team.

Why are you complaining about him being a second round pick when about EVERY SINGLE SERVICE in this thread rates him as a second rounder? And, there's one service that projected him as the potential 40th overall selection - supplemental first round. What is your basis for claiming he's clearly OUTSIDE the top 75 or so slots to the end of the second round?

This kid is smart and likely a quick learner. He appears to have had success in showcase events leading him to be a BA PreSeason AA - only about 15 HS kids make that list. He appears to need instruction to improve his set-up at the plate and repetitions against quality pitching to get better. So it's not a write up of a flawless prospect - so what. There's flaws in the write-ups of almost everyone outside the top 10 or 15 guys.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoosiers, he's a supurb all-around athlete with apparently tremendous upside and that's what gives him a high ratings by the scouting services. And he'd be a great pick for a lot of teams for those reasons. So what?? That's not my arguement. My arguement is: if you need hitting, find somebody who's a highly-rated hitter, not someone who's an all-around athlete who may someday be a good hitter.

I'm not knocking the guy's ability or his rated draft slot. That's not the issue. I mean, if you really need a shovel, you don't go buy a really great rake because it's the best rake ever made.You know?

Is this rocket science?

I'm not knocking the guy's ability or his rated draft slot. That's not the issue. I mean, if you really need a shovel, you don't go buy a really great rake because it's the best rake ever made.You know?

Is this rocket science?

I don't know what it is if you are suggesting they pass on better talent to fill a need.

The word or phrase that comes to mind is not rocket science, though.

Hoosiers, he's a supurb all-around athlete with apparently tremendous upside and that's what gives him a high ratings by the scouting services. And he'd be a great pick for a lot of teams for those reasons. So what?? That's not my arguement. My arguement is: if you need hitting, find somebody who's a highly-rated hitter, not someone who's an all-around athlete who may someday be a good hitter.

Is this rocket science?

And that, ladies and gentleman, is how you use a shovel on a message board.

Actually, just kidding. I disagree with your point of view but I love the analogy.

You sure do have a strong opinion about a guy you probably had never heard of before yesterday.

He saw five minutes of Joe Flacco's worst game in his football career and spent three months trashing the guy and anyone who dared think he could be a good pick. You were expecting Keith Law? :laughlol:

The way I see it, from the descriptions he's Darnell McDonald on the low end, and Carl Crawford on the high end. Really, I doubt we could have found too many guys with a better comp at that pick.

Really, I doubt we could have found too many guys with a better comp at that pick.

Really? I'd much rather seen a comparable to Jason Giambi, Frank Thomas, Travis Haffner, Big Papi Ortiz...

I bet none of them can run much at all. :clap3:

Really? I'd much rather seen a comparable to Jason Giambi, Frank Thomas, Travis Haffner, Big Papi Ortiz...

Maybe you can point to the draft write-ups with comps to these players?

Like Avery, Frank Thomas was recruited to play football in the SEC - he was a tight end at Auburn. Happy now?

Why am I presuming he'll be Darnell McDonald, DH?

Here's why..

59 XAVIER AVERY, OF, Cedar Grove HS, Ellenwood, Ga.

Athleticism, speed and the unknown are all words coinciding with Avery. This spring he signed to play football as a running back with Georgia. A center fielder, Avery is one of the fastest players in the draft and has been timed at 6.2 seconds in the 60-yard dash. However, Avery is hampered by the poor level of competition on his high school team's schedule, making him a tough player for scouts to evaluate this spring. He was visible last summer and performed well both in the East Cobb league and on the showcase circuit, leading to his being named an Aflac all-American. Avery's tools are thought to be raw, as are his instincts. However, with his speed, he is projected to be an above-average outfielder with an average arm, similar to Carl Crawford. At the plate, Avery's ability is even more of a projection. Hitting lefthanded and having above-average speed will always give Avery a chance to hit for average, but scouts feel he is still a ways away with the bat and his approach. Avery could be an exponential improver with proper instruction and multiple at-bats in the minor leagues.

That means fast, questionable bat ("he is still a ways away with his bat.."etc.), didn't play any real competition, anyway,... "COULD BE AN EXPONENTAL IMPROVER.." what does that mean? Kieron Pope w/o the power?

Now granted DH, I don't know if he'll be a flop. But what kind of a second-rounder scouting report is that for a team desperate for hitting? Couldn't they find ONE other prospect who's better than this guy? Why couldn't they have drafted somebody with a hitting pedigree as impressive as this guy's ability to run around real fast? I w/have much rather they drafted a slow guy w/a weak arm but a powerful bat. He could play either first or be a DH-and actually be of use.

All the Orioles seem to have drafted is a real swell 4x100 relay team.

I have to say it's a little bit of a reach to read a paragraph about a player who was drafted in the 2nd round, was though of by multiple sources as a 2nd-round talent, and then throw out the idea that he's going to be worse than Kieron "I strike out six times a game" Pope.

It's amazing that people will crucify Jordan on picks that haven't even had a single minor league plate appearance yet.

You're putting people in jail for reckless driving and manslaughter because they bought a Corvette.

Is this rocket science?

If there aren't any shovels that are as good as the rake, you get the rake. You can still dig/fill in holes with it, you can do plenty of other things, and it will likely be better in the long-run then a lower quality shovel.

I have to say it's a little bit of a reach to read a paragraph about a player who was drafted in the 2nd round, was though of by multiple sources as a 2nd-round talent, and then throw out the idea that he's going to be worse than Kieron "I strike out six times a game" Pope.

It's amazing that people will crucify Jordan on picks that haven't even had a single minor league plate appearance yet.

You're putting people in jail for reckless driving and manslaughter because they bought a Corvette.

Nice analogy.

Is this rocket science?

If the rake is a lot better than the shovels, sure you do. Then you sell the rake on Ebay and buy five shovels, or you trade it to your neighbor for the really great experienced, tested shovel he just used to dig a 500-ft hole in his back yard.

Archived