The Nick Markakis 2,000th hit countdown thread

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Nick's first ht of 2020 was a walk-off homer. He's now tied with Carlton Fisk for 135th all-time, at 2,356 hits. He's now chasing Allan Trammell at 2,365. Realistically, Nick probably won't get much past 2,400 hits in 2020, if he gets there at all with the shortened season. He'd need 45 hits to get there, and the Braves have 46 games left to play.

o

If Markakis finishes his career with 2,501 or more hits, that will be closer to 3,000 than it is to 2,000 ........ and that will be quite the accomplishment, in relation to the OP of this thread.

o

14 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

If Markakis finishes his career with 2,501 or more hits, that will be closer to 3,000 than it is to 2,000 ........ and that will be quite the accomplishment, in relation to the OP of this thread.

o

I think if Nick is still playing next year I will change the thread title to 2,500.   He lost a lot of ground last year with the injury and this year with the shortened season, and I think any shot he had at 3,000 hits has evaporated (I did not think his chances were that good anyway).    But 2,500 would be a great accomplishment and put him in the top 100 all time (with a couple extra hits).     He's fourth among active players (behind Pujols, Cabrera and Cano) and if you look behind him, nos. 5-14 have no real shot at ever getting to where Nick is now.    The first guy who has a shot to pass Nick is Elvis Andrus (1731 hits at age 31), and I would not bet on him doing it.   Here is where Nick was at various ages compared to some other younger guys now:

35 2355

34 2237

33 2052

32 1889

31 1728 (Andrus 1731)

30 1547 (Castro 1631, Altuve 1579)

29 1370

28 1198 (Trout 1338)

27 1073 (Machado 1211, Harper 1078, Bogaerts 1037)

Note that the players listed still have the rest of this season to add to their totals compared to where Nick was at the same baseball age.    Realistically, it will be at least 2025 before anybody passes Nick's current total.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think if Nick is still playing next year I will change the thread title to 2,500.   

o

PLEASE keep it the way that it is ??? It only serves to accentuate how far Nick has come. Imagine if Nick actually comes within a 100 or 200 of 3,000 hits someday ........ that would be SOOOOOO cool to see the original title of the thread. 

It's your thread, and your call, Frank ........ I happen to love the contrast.

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

PLEASE keep it the way that it is ??? It only serves to accentuate how far Nick has come. Imagine if Nick actually comes within a 100 or 200 of 3,000 hits someday ........ that would be SOOOOOO cool to see the original title of the thread. 

It's your thread, and your call, Frank ........ I happen to love the contrast.

o

We will see.   When I started the thread, I fully expected that he would blow well past 2,000 hits.    After all, he was only in his age 33 season at the time, and still playing very well.     And honestly, 2,500 hits is a far bigger accomplishment - only 101 players have done it, compared to 287 who made it as far as 2,000.   Maybe I'll just start a new thread entirely if/when Nick gets close to that number.     There's no guarantee that he will.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We will see. When I started the thread, I fully expected that he would blow well past 2,000 hits. After all, he was only in his age 33 season at the time, and still playing very well. And frankly, 2,500 hits is a far bigger accomplishment - only 101 players have done it, compared to 287 who made it as far as 2,000. Maybe I'll just start a new thread entirely if/when Nick gets close to that number. There's no guarantee that he will.

o

If you started a new thread, that would be great, Frank ....... and you just KNOOOOOOW that I will keep this old one going. ) B|

o

On 8/9/2020 at 11:25 AM, Frobby said:

30 1547 (Castro 1631, Altuve 1579)

Didn't realize Altuve was 30 already.  He is one I was thinking would have a great shot at 3000 hits, but not so much anymore.  I know he was hurt last year some, but already was slowing down and (SSS as with everything this year) he is really struggling so far in 2020.  And the Astros have him for 4 more years at 29M/year!

Just now, murph said:

Didn't realize Altuve was 30 already.  He is one I was thinking would have a great shot at 3000 hits, but not so much anymore.  I know he was hurt last year some, but already was slowing down and (SSS as with everything this year) he is really struggling so far in 2020.  And the Astros have him for 4 more years at 29M/year!

It is almost as if something changed recently...

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is almost as if something changed recently...

His career couldn't have been trash can lead the whole time, unless you are referring to some other rumors I missed about him.  Although I am sure he would love a tip or two on the pitches which are coming right now! 

• 2 weeks later...