O's trade for Hellickson

OriolesMagic83

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I'm the biggest rah rah homer on this board and even I'm giving up on the season. We need about 45 wins with 60 to play. But like someone said, we have two months of games to play. We need to put a ML team on the field. Our rotation is in tatters and we had to get help from somewhere.

But does adding another tatter really improve the dress?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The real question is, does it matter?    Even if Hellickson makes 12 starts and throws to a 4.00 ERA, will we have a realistic shot at the playoffs this year?    If not, then why trade possible long term assets?

To answer my own question: (1) it perhaps marginally improves our remote playoff chances, (2) it signals to the other players that Duquette isn't giving up on them, which perhaps boosts long term morale, (3) Hellickson may take some of the innings Bundy would've pitched, sparing the young pitcher's arm from too much overuse.

(4) Kim was very likely to be released anyway, if we couldn't trade him, as soon as Santander's rehab was finished.

Ho-hum deal, for sure, but no real downside to it.

4 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

These long threads make it hard to take things in context, but, no I'm not thinking this is a crippling move.  It's mostly a meh move, what we gave up was of little value. It's just a disappointing move because even if Hellickson shakes off being worse than Miley (which I can make a very good case that he has been worse than Miley) and pitches like an ace for the rest of the season, what does that do for the team? Nothing, maybe gives us a lower draft slot next year.

I guess with me it is the idea that DD seems to have that the O's are competitors for a WC. It's better to sell at this point. IMO

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

I guess with me it is the idea that DD seems to have that the O's are competitors for a WC. It's better to sell at this point. IMO

Do you think they could have gotten anything for the Hellickson package that had a real chance to help down the road?

I don't view this as much of a buyer/seller deal.  Just two teams out of contention trading minimally valuable assets.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But does adding another tatter really improve the dress?

I will not post the Stones.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think they could have gotten anything for the Hellickson package that had a real chance to help down the road?

I don't view this as much of a buyer/seller deal.  Just two teams out of contention trading minimally valuable assets.

I think Duquette and Klentak just got bored (and perhaps depressed) listening to the contenders tell them how their pieces don't move their needles.

Dan told Matt that he gets a AA pitcher and Matt told Dan that Hellickson is better than any of his starters, and could go on a hot streak. Deal done.

Archived