Santander

OriolesMagic83

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure but it is an issue for both.  Folks have been told to worry about it in one case and not the other.  I found it interesting that without outside prompting no one seemed to notice or care.

Overall though they haven’t been that comparable in this regard.   Santander had a much higher walk rate in the minors, including at Norfolk, than Mountcastle has had.    And his lower rate in the majors so far is still a little higher than Mountcastle’s at AAA, despite the latter’s recent improvements.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, it's an issue for both but at least we're seeing Santander hit at the major league level.  Don't know if Mountcastle can.  I'm not saying we shouldn't give Mountcastle a shot, that would be silly but at the same time I'm not buying into the hype.  

Hopefully Mountcastle's walk rate continues to improve, but It'll be interesting to see when the OH boo birds start turning on him for high strikeouts and low walks if he can't.  

Particularly since Mountcastle was a better hitter in the minor leagues than Santander was.  What was Santander hitting in Norfolk before he was called up?  I can’t ever recall a 22 year old Oriole getting the IL Player of the Year and our 46-96 sterling ballclub worries that he isn’t good enough for a trial?? 

5 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Particularly since Mountcastle was a better hitter in the minor leagues than Santander was.  What was Santander hitting in Norfolk before he was called up?  I can’t ever recall a 22 year old Oriole getting the IL Player of the Year and our 46-96 sterling ballclub worries that he isn’t good enough for a trial?? 

Well if we judge players by saying "Player X was a better hitter in the minors than Player Y, therefore Player X will be the better major league hitter" then you and I could be scouts.

I'm all for giving Mountcastle a trial, I'm just not believing that he's a talent that we absolutely can't live without.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if we judge players by saying "Player X was a better hitter in the minors than Player Y, therefore Player X will be the better major league hitter" then you and I could be scouts.

I'm all for giving Mountcastle a trial, I'm just not believing that he's a talent that we absolutely can't live without.

Yep, he's a flawed guy, which makes it all the stranger that they seem to be worried about his service time.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

o

This was Santander's first Home Run in almost 2 weeks (September 6th.)

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/18)

NUMBER 19

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER

o

o

(vs. MARINERS, 9/20)