Verlander is he worth a claim

TouchemAll

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say yes because I don't see the Tigers letting him leave.

If by chance they do then you are on the hook for a substantial amount of money but it is at the very position of need you have the greatest. If he pitches well and the team struggles you can always flip him. 

Everyone keeps asking the same question how are they going to improve the rotation? A risk of some sort will have to be made. 

His $28m/year, for two more years, with a third year at $22m if he finishes in the top 5 CY voting, is totally insane. If it were anything else, like say $17m-20m/year, I'd say absolutely. 

I'd rather they claim Ervin Santana.  2 more years at $27.5 million (plus remainder for this season).

I'd imagine Twins would pull him back though and force a trade b/c that's basically market rate for veteran mid-rotation SP.  

worth a shot though.

7 minutes ago, 99ct said:

His $28m/year, for two more years, with a third year at $22m if he finishes in the top 5 CY voting, is totally insane. If it were anything else, like say $17m-20m/year, I'd say absolutely. 

So a contending team couldn't use a Top 5 Cy Young season? 

Just now, Tryptamine said:

The Tigers aren't giving up Verlander for free. When the Cubs were all over Verlander, the Tigers were asking for one of Ian Happ/Javy Baez plus a couple other prospects and they were only willing to eat 10M of Verlander's contract.

Which is another reason to claim him. 

3 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

The Tigers aren't giving up Verlander for free. When the Cubs were all over Verlander, the Tigers were asking for one of Ian Happ/Javy Baez plus a couple other prospects and they were only willing to eat 10M of Verlander's contract.

And he is still a Tiger.

9 minutes ago, Number5 said:

And he is still a Tiger.

That's pretty much my point, don't bother claiming him. Detroit isn't willing to tell their fans that they dumped their marquee player to save money. Instead they have to make it look like they got a great return when that's not possible unless they eat a ton of cash.

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So a contending team couldn't use a Top 5 Cy Young season? 

The Top 5 Cy Young finish is actually the only reasonable part about his contract. $22m for one year of a top 5 pitcher is not a bad deal at all. It's the 2x $28m that I think is problematic, especially at his age.

Archived