Mason McCoy 2017-2019

Luke-OH

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That is major league SS throw there. Never set his feet but was able to get it there. Not a plus arm but looks major league average on that throw.

I've been paying more attention to him and I'm starting to see a little Mike Bordick in him. He's definitely moved himself onto the prospect scene.

And Bordick was a bit of a late bloomer - got a cup o coffee at 24, had a lousy hitting year at 25, and then had arguably his best season at 26.  Hey, if McCoy can keep his OPS up - not this high but .900 would be great, maybe he'll get that cup of coffee in September.  It seems like defensively, he's very reliable - that's a great quality.  Imagine him and Bannon getting dual espressos, so to speak, in September - that'd be something - both underdogs making it up the ladder together.    

• Like 1

If our farm system produced two solid-average MLB regular middle infielders this year, well let's just say that would be a pleasant surprise compared to what we were thinking at this time last year. Still a long way to go before that happens, but it's nice to have hope in a couple of guys. 

• Like 1

After 14 games in Bowie, McCoy has a 1.024 OPS.

He also had 27 games in Frederick and posted a .925 OPS.

I suspect the Bowie number will come down over the next couple of weeks. It already has a bit, but it almost has to some more. I wonder where it'll level out? It would be really interesting if he finishes the year in Bowie with a high .800's OPS.

Three more hits tonight, now hitting .365 at Bowie.  If the only question defensively is his arm, then let's call him a second base prospect with a really good hit tool and good plate discipline.   He was a sixth round pick, so it's not like he is coming out of nowhere.  If he can hit .300, he merits a mid-season promotion to Norfolk and a September call-up to Baltimore.   It's not like the O's are swimming in elite middle infield prospects.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

He was a sixth round pick, so it's not like he is coming out of nowhere.  

He was a senior sign, basically just a way for the club to save slot money to spend elsewhere.  Those guys usually aren't seen as prospects, though the Orioles have done pretty well with them - I believe both Wynns and Wilkerson were senior signs as well.

And to give Luke some credit I believe he's like McCoy from the start.

On 5/22/2019 at 4:41 PM, orioles22 said:

It looks like McCoy and Bannon could move up to Norfolk together next year and contend for a starting job or as a backup infielder the next year in Baltimore. Maybe Hall is ready at shortstop in 2022.

At this point, who is blocking McCoy?  Villar is gone either at the deadline or in the offseason.  Martin has hit worse than Davis (its hard to hit worse than the guy who had maybe the worst hitting season ever last year). 

On 5/30/2019 at 6:22 AM, glenn__davis said:

He was a senior sign, basically just a way for the club to save slot money to spend elsewhere.  Those guys usually aren't seen as prospects, though the Orioles have done pretty well with them - I believe both Wynns and Wilkerson were senior signs as well.

And to give Luke some credit I believe he's like McCoy from the start.

I have thought McCoy was interesting from the start, hit tool and ability to play SS passably, better than the general senior sign. However, I'm probably going to end up being the low guy on him if he continues to hit like this all year. 

8 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

He could probably hit .170 in the majors, right?

Richie Martin's age 23 AA line

8.6 % BB, 16.9 % K,  .139 ISO

Mason McCoy's age 24 A+/AA line

8.2% BB, 14.1% K, .134 ISO

McCoy has a better hit tool, less defensive ability at SS, but he'll need to be 100% fully ready if he's going to have a chance to succeed in the majors. I'd give him a full season's worth of ABs in AAA, he doesn't have a 40 man crunch because he was a 2017 pick. 

• 2 weeks later...