Mason McCoy 2017-2019

Luke-OH

1 minute ago, panick said:

How about as a starter for the Orioles?

This is an appropriate question. I can imagine the O's wanting a steadier player than Martin. I can also imagine them wanting a toolsier player than McCoy. In the end, they'll look to upgrade over both. How fast can Gunnar move? lol

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Melewski got this quote from another team’s scout:

“He’s interesting because (the Orioles) have so little in the middle infield. I put a grade on him as an up-and-down extra guy. He had more pop in batting practice than I expected, especially to the pull side. I did not expect to grade him with average raw power. Again, not present, game power, but raw power. He had some pop and he really has soft hands.

“He may be better suited at second base than shortstop. But his hands are real good. I only had his speed as around average, but Statcast in the Fall League had him above average. To me, his hands and his speed are his best attributes. And he does make pretty good contact with a fairly short swing. His bat speed was probably in the average range and he got beat sometimes by velocity. I think at shortstop he would make all the plays he can get to, but his range may be a bit short. His arm is in the average range.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/a-scouts-take-on-some-orioles-prospects.html