Mason McCoy 2017-2019

Luke-OH

21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Is he a prospect?

Hitting .500 in his first 3 or 4 games a Bowie

He's got to be getting into some discussions

Not sure, but I asked if Grenier was any better than him in the draft thread and caught some attitude.

• Upvote 1

Gotta love that - he gets promoted and immediately shines.  He's having a terrific season.  I don't know about his range, but he doesn't make a lot of errors - most minor league SS's make a ton of errors.  What a step-up he's made offensively this year.  But it's only 130 at bats.  Sigh.  Let's see how he's doing after the next 100 at bats.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d love to know what he’s doing differently this year.  The guy had a .701 OPS at Delmarva last year.  

The only thing I’ve noticed so far is he looks stronger, he caught out on his front foot in a game I watched the other day and still hit it over the fence (albeit a bit foul).

He’s improved his arm strength since being drafted but that has been an ongoing thing not just this year. He surely warrants a closer look, although he is old for AA, and the overall power numbers are just ok.

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

The only thing I’ve noticed so far is he looks stronger, he caught out on his front foot in a game I watched the other day and still hit it over the fence (albeit a bit foul).

He’s improved his arm strength since being drafted but that has been an ongoing thing not just this year. He surely warrants a closer look, although he is old for AA, and the overall power numbers are just ok.

He’s striking out less, though he wasn’t striking out that much to begin with.  Well, like with all players, I’ll wait several more weeks before concluding that it’s anything more than a hot streak.  

13 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

That's a nice looking play.  Is any of the current O's shortstops (Martin, Villar) even capable of making that play in the hole?  If he's is the current best fielding shortstop in the system and can potentially hit 700 OPS, i would love to see him up.

I love the enthusiasm, but he hit for a .700 OPS in Delmarva last year, and he was old for the level. As encouraging as his start is, we're still in relatively small sample size territory. You never know though. Sometimes the bats can click.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

That is major league SS throw there. Never set his feet but was able to get it there. Not a plus arm but looks major league average on that throw.

I've been paying more attention to him and I'm starting to see a little Mike Bordick in him. He's definitely moved himself onto the prospect scene.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Corolla35 said:

That's a nice looking play.  Is any of the current O's shortstops (Martin, Villar) even capable of making that play in the hole?  If he's is the current best fielding shortstop in the system and can potentially hit 700 OPS, i would love to see him up.

Sure, they both have solid average major league SS arms.

• Like 1