What Trades Will the Orioles Make?

weams

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He's actually the safer play as opposed to handing out an "Ubaldo" type FA contract to a SP that has "Ubaldo" type risk. Verlander is likely going to put up at least 8 WAR over the next two years, plus whatever he gives us this year.

Next year you can justify having Verlander in the rotation, making so much money, if the rotation is Verlander, Bundy, Gausman, Castro, Wright/Aquino.  That's without magically trading Davis, Trumbo or O'day. 

We have 40 games left. Verlander would make 7-8 starts, plus if we make the postseason. You could still give guys extra rest and run Verlander out there on normal rest.

I think there's a lot of value in Verlander and a much better chance of your return on your investment than the alternatives. Verlander at $28 million in 2018, of Miley and a FA at around the same money?  

Fun fact, September has 30 days -3 off days, plus 2 games left in August plus 1 in October.

Down to the last 30 game stretch........so only 5-6 starts for Verlander I'm afraid.    Not that I wouldn't take him if the price is right.  He's a clear upgrade for the O's present and future.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Fun fact, September has 30 days -3 off days, plus 2 games left in August plus 1 in October.

Down to the last 30 game stretch........so only 5-6 starts for Verlander I'm afraid.    Not that I wouldn't take him if the price is right.  He's a clear upgrade for the O's present and future.

I'd take him or Miguel Gonzalez

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What would it take to get Verlander?  Sisco, Akin, Rafaela/Stewart/Phellufo?

Verlander is owed $56 million through 2019, but is there a safer way to spend money on the FA market?  They guy arguably could have one the CY Young last year. This year in a "down" year, he's 8th in WAR in the AL at 3.6. So in a down year, he is still worth 4 WAR.  

He's actually the safer play as opposed to handing out an "Ubaldo" type FA contract to a SP that has "Ubaldo" type risk. Verlander is likely going to put up at least 8 WAR over the next two years, plus whatever he gives us this year.

Next year you can justify having Verlander in the rotation, making so much money, if the rotation is Verlander, Bundy, Gausman, Castro, Wright/Aquino.  That's without magically trading Davis, Trumbo or O'day. 

We have 40 games left. Verlander would make 7-8 starts, plus if we make the postseason. You could still give guys extra rest and run Verlander out there on normal rest.

I think there's a lot of value in Verlander and a much better chance of your return on your investment than the alternatives. Verlander at $28 million in 2018, of Miley and a FA at around the same money?  

Rifaela or Peluffo should be plenty.  Mike Leake got a guy outside of the Mariners top 25 prospects who isn't having a good year and that's with the Cardinals throwing in 17 million!!!  

What time of day does the deadline end? Need to clear a few spots on the 40 man if Alvarez or others are added. Could see Dan trying to do that through a potential trade. Aquino, Lee, Chricton, Ynoa, Wright, Wilson and the likes could be part of a trade too.

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Rifaela or Peluffo should be plenty.  Mike Leake got a guy outside of the Mariners top 25 prospects who isn't having a good year and that's with the Cardinals throwing in 17 million!!!  

Verlander and Mike Leake should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

I was the president of the Sisco fan club, but with the emergence of Mancini, Hays, Mullins, Stewart and Santander, I just don't see a spot for him on this team. He will never catch while buck is managing. Where is he gonna play?  The tigers could give him a chance at catcher and he is the "top prospect" they seem to be looking for. 

Verlander would be a great get. Won't happen. I say get the band back together. Cmon DD, gimme Gonzo, Hunter, and Bourn. 

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

What time of day does the deadline end? Need to clear a few spots on the 40 man if Alvarez or others are added. Could see Dan trying to do that through a potential trade. Aquino, Lee, Chricton, Ynoa, Wright, Wilson and the likes could be part of a trade too.

I just have a feeling DD will  not make any trades. Would be fine with Miggy though.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I was the president of the Sisco fan club, but with the emergence of Mancini, Hays, Mullins, Stewart and Santander, I just don't see a spot for him on this team. He will never catch while buck is managing. Where is he gonna play?  The tigers could give him a chance at catcher and he is the "top prospect" they seem to be looking for. 

Verlander would be a great get. Won't happen. I say get the band back together. Cmon DD, gimme Gonzo, Hunter, and Bourn. 

I'd greatly prefer Leake at 3/36m than Verlander at 2/56m

Edit: And "never catch while Buck is managing", yeah, Buck values defense so highly, Sisco is a better defensive catcher than Trumbo or Mancini are defensive outfielders.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

The 40 man isn't as stacked full of talent as you thing. I'd handicap the bottom 5 as,

40. Open

39. Verrett (no options for 2018)

38.  Nuno (ditto)

37.  Faulkner (he's like our 7th best LH RP option)

36. Ubaldo/Tillman

Guys could easily be added. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

The 40 man isn't as stacked full of talent as you thing. I'd handicap the bottom 5 as,

40. Open

39. Verrett (no options for 2018)

38.  Nuno (ditto)

37.  Faulkner (he's like our 7th best LH RP option)

36. Ubaldo/Tillman

Guys could easily be added. 

Faulkner going to AFL, so I doubt they plan on removing him from the 40 man

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So if next spring Caleb and Chance are the two catchers on the roster Buck will play Caleb every day?  Will he play Flaherty at catcher?

I'm at a loss how Buck can avoid playing Sisco.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if next spring Caleb and Chance are the two catchers on the roster Buck will play Caleb every day?  Will he play Flaherty at catcher?

I'm at a loss how Buck can avoid playing Sisco.

Cisco drink whiskey, Cabob drink the wine.

Archived