Santander Next Season

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

SanTAN der is the anglicised version. Thorne as I said has a New England accent.

Ok you got one out of three right - I got two.  San, pronounced phonetically is Sahn.  Thanks for the link above - shows how much I remember from my years as a Spanish major....I did get my "hooks" and degree though.  :clap:

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Ok you got one out of three right - I got two.  San, pronounced phonetically is Sahn.  Thanks for the link above - shows how much I remember from my years as a Spanish major....I did get my "hooks" and degree though.  :clap:

Not according to the video or this one as well . Thorne is from Maine,

Thorne may be from NE but he doesn't really speak with that sort of an accent.

He doesn't say "Neil Wal-kuh" and he didn't say "No-mah".  He just gets these wrong pronunciations in his head sometimes and can't get them out.  Dave Tromb-lay was a big one back in the day.

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

He doesn't say "Neil Wal-kuh" and he didn't say "No-mah".  He just gets these wrong pronunciations in his head sometimes and can't get them out.  Dave Tromb-lay was a big one back in the day.

I think he just says it whatever way he thinks is more fun.

40 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I have a hunch that Santander is going to be special....but its still a work in progress...Id jettison Rasmus or Gentry when Trumbo comes back...Let Santander play RF and Trumbo DH..and then let Hays earn his way to the majors...

Don't forget about Mullins.  Pedro Alvarez should go as soon as Trumbo is back.  Maybe before.  Why have him up here, if he's not going to play?

45 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

That accent is very specific to certain groups around Boston. Most people from NE don’t speak like that. Just like how most people around Baltimore don’t call it Bawlmer.

40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Don't forget about Mullins.  Pedro Alvarez should go as soon as Trumbo is back.  Maybe before.  Why have him up here, if he's not going to play?

Pedro has to be first gone and if the world was fair, next on the list right now should be the big fella.  I know it can’t be, but he has looked so bad.

On 4/6/2018 at 3:46 PM, Frobby said:

Joe Angel is a better bet to pronounce Hispanic names correctly.    

Hasta la vista, baby!

You'd think so, but when it comes to players with Arod's last name, he sounds nothing like what we normally hear. Instead of 'rud- REE-gess,' Angel says 'rah-DREE-gez.' And Angel butchers the pronunciation of "Santander."

On 4/6/2018 at 6:24 PM, elgordo said:

How does he pronounce it?

I haven’t heard Angel say it.    There’s a very large Spanish bank called Banco Santander and I assume it’s pronounced the same way (more or less equal emphasis on the last two syllables, last syllable pronounced “dare”).

I’m pleased that Buck has given Santander a lot of playing time so far.   Even though he’s hitting .130, I like what I’m seeing.    He’s seeing 4.62 pitches per plate appearance, and only swinging at 32% of pitches outside the zone.   I’ve seen him lay off a number of tough pitches outside the strike zone.    He also made a nice diving catch yesterday on a soft liner in RCF.

Archived