Santander Next Season

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Per Meoli:

"With just a few days left before the May 12 date that the Orioles needed to hit to be able to send Rule 5 draft outfielder Anthony Santander to the minors, Showalter said there are several factors that will go into whether that happens.

Santander broke a streak of 65 at-bats without an RBI in Tuesday night’s 15-7 loss to the Kansas City Royals, and brought his batting average up to .204 with a .565 OPS in the process.

That's only a small consideration, Showalter said.

"There's a lot of reasons," he said. "No. 1, what's in the best interest of our team? No. 2, of his development, and what would he be replaced with? There's always some things to be gained by being here. But he's been here, obviously, a lot. What's he hitting now? ... You can't necessarily send down everyone who's hitting under .200.

"He's a good potential long-term player for us. We're going to do what's best for him and his development. And whatever happens, it's been good for him to be kind of force-fed with it. He's a smart-enough guy, I think he'll take some things and learn from it, whether he stays here or goes back down. But I'll tell you this, if he goes down, he'll be back at some point. I feel strongly about that."

That the Orioles have a doubleheader on that date, Saturday, when they can send Santander down creates maneuverability. They could add a reliever for the first game as their designated 26th man, then send Santander down in between to add another arm to cover the second game.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-notebook-20180509-story.html

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, bobmc said:

"There's a lot of reasons," he said. "No. 1, what's in the best interest of our team? No. 2, of his development, and what would he be replaced with? There's always some things to be gained by being here. But he's been here, obviously, a lot. What's he hitting now? ... You can't necessarily send down everyone who's hitting under .200.

Because that would be 1/2 the team.

I would send Santander to Bowie and let him take somebody like D'Arby Myers' at-bats. He's only 23 and Prince George's stadium is a good hitter's park. Let him build some momentum/confidence and push his way to Norfolk. I would give Rickard one last chance to show he can be the 4th outfielder for 2019. He's been raking at AAA.  

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Release Michael Saunders and send Santander to Norfolk. He tore up AA last year, albeit a SSS.  He has a ML approach. Just never got on a roll up here.  

I think the Orioles fascination with Rule 5's is a joke but I do think Santander has real potential. I agree with you on Saunders. I have been arguing for a while now that the Rule 5 draft is actually hurting these player's development. I agree with your approach and I do not think Santander is a lost cause. He just needs time.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Release Michael Saunders and send Santander to Norfolk. He tore up AA last year, albeit a SSS.  He has a ML approach. Just never got on a roll up here.  

I'd be surprised if he wasn't sent to Bowie considering he had less at bats there than Hays and Mullins, who were both sent back.  Yasztremski can be promoted to Norfolk or released to make room on the Bowie roster.  

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Could happen. I just think he belongs in AAA. I think he's the most advanced hitter in the system.

He needs a full season (at least) in the minors.  He has clearly been overmatched in Baltimore. 

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't agree with using the rule 5 to acquire utility guys and extra relievers, the type you can pick up on waivers or as minor league FA's.  Santander is the first legit prospect they picked up that way. No problem with that.

Legit prospect?

Archived