The #11 Pick in 2018 draft

Diehard_O's_Fan

17 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I agree, but teams don't acquire players with that size contact on a hope and a prayer that they will be better going forward.  He's lost speed, he has trouble hitting velocity, and his defense has declined.  He is only getting older.

The Dodgers did when they picked up Crawford.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Dodgers did when they picked up Crawford.

That deal was more about Adrian Gonzalez, Beckett and competing that year.  

The Dodgers got Adrian Gonzalez who was having a solid year and coming off a 6+ WAR season.  Josh Beckett who was a league average starter.  Both Beckett and Gonzalez had reasonable salaries for their level of production.  The Dodgers also got 11 million dollars from the Red Sox and a cheap solid utility player in Nick Punto.  They also saved a few million owed to Loney who was below replacement level.

They gave up one prospect of note in Allen Webster.  

It was characterized on espn.com as a"...bold and expensive move for a new ownership group that has made it clear they'll spare no expense to put a winning team on the field as soon as possible."

That was one of the more favorable takes on the trade.

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

That deal was more about Adrian Gonzalez, Beckett and competing that year.  

The Dodgers got Adrian Gonzalez who was having a solid year and coming off a 6+ WAR season.  Josh Beckett who was a league average starter.  Both Beckett and Gonzalez had reasonable salaries for their level of production.  The Dodgers also got 11 million dollars from the Red Sox and a cheap solid utility player in Nick Punto.  They also saved a few million owed to Loney who was below replacement level.

They gave up one prospect of note in Allen Webster.  

It was characterized on espn.com as a"...bold and expensive move for a new ownership group that has made it clear they'll spare no expense to put a winning team on the field as soon as possible."

That was one of the more favorable takes on the trade.

I'm not saying I thought it was a good move.

But they absorbed a huge amount of payroll and acquired a player that qualified as a " hope and a prayer that they will be better going forward".  In this case you would have two first round draft picks.  It is not as if the Gonzalez or Beckett deals had surplus value attached to them.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying I thought it was a good move.

But they absorbed a huge amount of payroll and acquired a player that qualified as a " hope and a prayer that they will be better going forward".  In this case you would have two first round draft picks.  It is not as if the Gonzalez or Beckett deals had surplus value attached to them.

I'm just saying that it's wishful thinking that a team would take on Davis' contract valuing him as even an average player going forward.  

The fact it was an in-season trade changes things.  It's similar to trading Britton, Jones, and Davis, plus a better verison of Flaherty and 11 million (if Britton and Jones were under contract for longer)  for Michael Saunders, an Alec Asher type pitcher, a Christian Walker type player, a Flaherty type utilty guy with more team control and a 90-100 prospect pitcher.

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'm just saying that it's wishful thinking that a team would take on Davis' contract valuing him as even an average player going forward.  

The fact it was an in-season trade changes things.  It's similar to trading Britton, Jones, and Davis, plus a better verison of Flaherty and 11 million (if Britton and Jones were under contract for longer)  for Michael Saunders, an Alec Asher type pitcher, a Christian Walker type player, a Flaherty type utilty guy with more team control and a 90-100 prospect pitcher.

Certainly the team in question in the hypothetical scenario would be valuing the draft picks (and additional pool money) more than Davis.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just to be clear, I'm far from giving up on those guys (though I'm worried about Sedlock's health).   Just pointing out that we have, in fact, drafted a lot of pitchers.    Our first pick in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017 was a pitcher.    Manny and DJ Stewart were the only exceptions.    

All the more reason for us to pick even more in number since we apparently are no good at picking out the ones that will turn into TOR types. 

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

All the more reason for us to pick even more in number since we apparently are no good at picking out the ones that will turn into TOR types. 

I think Hunter Harvey, Cody Sedlock,  Keegan Akin,  and D.L. Hall can all be top pitchers. 

11 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Trumbo is more realistic though, I can't imagine anyone taking on the Davis contract even if the O's could trade their #11 overall pick AND a round A comp pick.

Your  not trading a high draft pick to dump Trumbo. His contract isn't outrageous And he is a notorious fast starter. He very easily could put up a fast start and be dealt for something of value. 

Davis is the problem and you have to hope he's embarrassed by his poor performance and hires a psychiatrist and an offseason hitting coach.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Your  not trading a high draft pick to dump Trumbo. His contract isn't outrageous And he is a notorious fast starter. He very easily could put up a fast start and be dealt for something of value. 

Davis is the problem and you have to hope he's embarrassed by his poor performance and hires a psychiatrist and an offseason hitting coach.

You don't think the other teams know he is a notorious fast starter?

Archived