Dan Connolly: Orioles Must Be Willing To Make A Trade

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that he looks at Machado, Brach and Britton as the players most likely to bring back solid starting pitching and not prospects like Hays, Mountcastle, or Harvey (the three I'd least like to lose).

For what it's worth, I think it would be easier to find a ML ready 3rd baseman than a high ceiling starting pitcher, along with anything else that would come in a Machado trade.

Delino DeShields had put in 4 seasons as an Expo from ages 21-24, compiling 10 B-Ref WAR including 3.2 and 4.0 in the last two seasons.

Ignoring 2013's cup of coffee, Jonathan Schoop has put in 4 seasons from ages 22-25, compiling 10 B-Ref WAR including 2.1 and 5.1 in the last two seasons.

Lightning couldn't strike twice, could it?

For grins, Pedro in the year before the trade was a 21-year old swingman for the Dodgers who had a 2.61 ERA in 107 IP.

Some of the best pitchers aged 21-23 last year - Severino, McCullers, Luke Weaver.   To a lesser extent, Jose Berrios and the Rockies German Marquez and Antonio Sentazela.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Interesting that he looks at Machado, Brach and Britton as the players most likely to bring back solid starting pitching and not prospects like Hays, Mountcastle, or Harvey (the three I'd least like to lose).

For what it's worth, I think it would be easier to find a ML ready 3rd baseman than a high ceiling starting pitcher, along with anything else that would come in a Machado trade.

Teams can try to get an almost ready type of pitching prospect who then turns into an ace...like the Indians did with Kluber-  he had been in the San Diego system and was not in the majors yet when he was dealt and Cleveland gave up Jake Westbrook in the 3 way deal to St. Louis.   Jake Westbrook was an established major league starting pitcher who went on to have two more good years with the Cardinals before Kluber then developed into a star.     The Orioles have two obstacles to going this route...first, if they are unwilling to trade Zach, Manny or Brach, then they do not have the established veteran piece (a la Westbrook) that would return a Kluber type prospect piece .   And, even if they did go in that direction, it would likely be some time after 2018 that the Kluber like piece would bear fruit.     And, of course, it would likely put a definite crimp in any run for the roses in 2018 if they trade the pieces mentioned.          No, I think Dan will go the "let me find another Chen, Miggy" route and  sign another free agent before he goes anywhere near a trade attempt to solve this particular challenge.  

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Teams can try to get an almost ready type of pitching prospect who then turns into an ace...like the Indians did with Kluber-  he had been in the San Diego system and was not in the majors yet when he was dealt and Cleveland gave up Jake Westbrook in the 3 way deal to St. Louis.   Jake Westbrook was an established major league starting pitcher who went on to have two more good years with the Cardinals before Kluber then developed into a star.     The Orioles have two obstacles to going this route...first, if they are unwilling to trade Zach, Manny or Brach, then they do not have the established veteran piece (a la Westbrook) that would return a Kluber type prospect piece .   And, even if they did go in that direction, it would likely be some time after 2018 that the Kluber like piece would bear fruit.     And, of course, it would likely put a definite crimp in any run for the roses in 2018 if they trade the pieces mentioned.          No, I think Dan will go the "let me find another Chen, Miggy" route and  sign another free agent before he goes anywhere near a trade attempt to solve this particular challenge.  

I think you point. As for Zach  don't see him bringing back much anyway.

Talk of getting an TOR starter seem impossible to me.  Bundy and Gausman have to be considered the top two.  The 3 and 4 being acquired.  With Tillman or Castro  being #5.  the 3 o 4 might be an older pitcher  on a one year contract.     Then counting on Harvey being ready for 2019.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I tend to agree with you. Machado might bring a TOR but that's debateable I would guess.

He could bring a TOR guy on a big contract. Or a good prospect with TOR ceiling but only a small chance of getting there.

12 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

The sad thing is this FO will let him walk. 

But... but clearly, we HAVE to gamble on that 5 or 10% chance that we will be able to resign him!   

Why would we instead act upon the almost-certainty that he is going to sign elsewhere, and actually make a move in the best interest of the team with getting value back in a trade?  That's just crazy talk!  9_9  

9 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

But... but clearly, we HAVE to gamble on that 5 or 10% chance that we will be able to resign him!   

Why would we instead act upon the almost-certainty that he is going to sign elsewhere, and actually make a move in the best interest of the team with getting value back in a trade?  That's just crazy talk!  9_9  

I would hope something can be worked out to keep him.  But I don't expect that to happen. 

13 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I would hope something can be worked out to keep him.  But I don't expect that to happen. 

10 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Sadly, I don't either.  Would love to be surprised, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. 

Since the Orioles don't seem to like to negoiate extensions, but rather wait for their players to hit free agency before trying to resign them, why not trade Manny and then try and resign him.  He'll come back if the money is right.

18 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Since the Orioles don't seem to like to negoiate extensions, but rather wait for their players to hit free agency before trying to resign them, why not trade Manny and then try and resign him.  He'll come back if the money is right.

Too many moving parts for Orioles ownership.

Yeah, I'm serious.

Archived