Dan Connolly: Orioles Must Be Willing To Make A Trade

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Because the Yankees can cut salary and still upgrade over CC. say they sign Cobb or Cashner for 15  M they are upgrading while saving 10 M

Ah, now I understand you.   But they might prefer to sign CC for 2/$25 mm instead of Cobb for 5/$85 mm or Cashner for 4/$60 mm (just guessing at all these numbers).    They have some good pitching talent in the minors and might use CC to bridge the gap rather than making a more expensive, long term commitment, especially since they want to be under the cap in 2018 so that they can go wild the following winter.

I’m not saying this is what they will do, just answering your question why they might want Sabathia back.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ah, now I understand you.   But they might prefer to sign CC for 2/$25 mm instead of Cobb for 5/$85 mm or Cashner for 4/$60 mm (just guessing at all these numbers).    They have some good pitching talent in the minors and might use CC to bridge the gap rather than making a more expensive, long term commitment, especially since they want to be under the cap in 2018 so that they can go wild the following winter.

They have a lot of FA to replace .

From Dan Connolly:

The way Sabathia has pitched in this postseason not only allows me to pat myself on the back. It probably guarantees that Sabathia will stay put in New York.

That’s what I expected anyway before I wrote my piece.

Now, it’s even harder to imagine Sabathia, whose family has settled in New Jersey, with anyone but the Yankees in 2018. He obviously would like to stay, and I don’t see how the Yankees can justify not having his presence around as they try to become a perennial playoff team again. Not only has he been good in October, but he was 14-5 with a 3.69 ERA in 27 starts in 2017, and was particularly strong down the stretch.

I still think he could have been a nice fit for the Orioles — even though he is old, injury-riddled and has had past personal issues, he can still be effective on the mound and be a strong mentor in the clubhouse while not commanding a long-term commitment. And, remember, the Orioles need more than one starter – maybe as many as three – and Sabathia checks a lot of the boxes the Orioles desire for one of those slots.

But I don’t think that matters now, no matter what Sabathia does throughout the rest of this postseason.

He’s already proved his value to the Yankees once again.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/10/20/myriad-os-thoughts-kims-mlb-future-maloney-not-mahoney-ccs-cementing-value/

I would strongly consider trading Trey Mancini.  He will be cost-controlled for several seasons, and he established himself as a good major league hitter this season, which should boost his value.  But defensively he is limited to LF/1B/DH, and the one thing the Orioles have an abundance of in their farm system is good hitting prospects who are likely to end up at DH or corner outfield.  

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would strongly consider trading Trey Mancini.  He will be cost-controlled for several seasons, and he established himself as a good major league hitter this season, which should boost his value.  But defensively he is limited to LF/1B/DH, and the one thing the Orioles have an abundance of in their farm system is good hitting prospects who are likely to end up at DH or corner outfield.  

Maybe in a year. None of the outfielders in the O's minor league system are major league ready besides maybe Hayes,  Santander probably does not even stick at the major league level after 44 days to fulfill his Rule 5 commitment.

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Yes, I'm a big fan of this idea as long as other teams value him reasonably.  

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Maybe in a year. None of the outfielders in the O's minor league system are major league ready besides maybe Hayes,  Santander probably does not even stick at the major league level after 44 days to fulfill his Rule 5 commitment.

I think trading Mancini now would be selling high.    While things could go either way, my guess is he won’t be as good in 2018 as he was in 2017, and he’ll be cheap and under control for one less year.    He’s not a must-trade, but I’d love to know what he could bring back at a position of need.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think trading Mancini now would be selling high.    While things could go either way, my guess is he won’t be as good in 2018 as he was in 2017, and he’ll be cheap and under control for one less year.    He’s not a must-trade, but I’d love to know what he could bring back at a position of need.  

He could be better next year.  He could get over 600 at bats and with a years experience in the outfield be better defensively.

He could be better next year.  He could get over 600 at bats and with a years experience in the outfield be better defensively.

Yep.   Could happen.   But my guess is .775 OPS with defense about the same as in the second half of this year.    Just my guess, no science behind it.

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yep.   Could happen.   But my guess is .775 OPS with defense about the same as in the second half of this year.    Just my guess, no science behind it.

Well if his defense is as good as it was in the 2nd half for the whole year........would be better for the whole year.  I see no reason his offense should decrease.

Well if his defense is as good as it was in the 2nd half for the whole year........would be better for the whole year.  I see no reason his offense should decrease.

.775 is about what he did in the second half.    I think pitchers figured him out a bit and this is more in line with what I expected in the first place.    Like I said, I could be wrong.    

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I believe Mancini is the real deal beast.  No one thought Trey would be able to do what he did this year.  I think he can have a Jayson Werth type career or better.    And next year,  Trey will make this season look just like an introduction in part because he won't have to be learning how to play a brand new position as a rookie adapting to the major leagues.  I am not trading Mancini unless I get a ridiculous return.  

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

You have a point Frobby. It's a real shame the team is stuck with CD for 5 more years. If not Mancini could be the 1st baseman. I know I am beating a dead horse but every time I think of that stupid contract they gave Chris it pisses me off. 

• 7 months later...
On 10/20/2017 at 5:09 PM, Frobby said:

Was thinking about this today.    Should’ve sold high.  

Archived