Offseason Trade Ideas thread

Luke-OH

55 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Wouldn't trading Mountcastle depend on what they do with Machado. If they resign him Mountcastle becomes expendable but if not isn't he the only in house option?

There is also Drew Dosch, who got moved up to Norfolk this year. Steve Wilkerson was also primarily third in Bowie before they brought up Mountcastle, but he is thought of more as a utility guy.

No one would be able to replace Machado, but those are two "in house" guys for now that could bridge a gap.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we have been told that they are not trading Manny or Zach in this offseason, here goes my hot stove plan to win the AL East in 2018.

1. Sign Lance Lynn and Jaime Garcia. Re-sign Tillman. Lynn will not be cheap, but he is not at the top of the market. He gets a good bit of weak contact and ground balls, and he is coming into his second year after TJ. Has been a 200 inning guy twice before TJ. Garcia is a guy that should give us 150 plus innings and also gets a good bit of ground balls.
2. Sign Jon Jay and re-sign Gentry. Have them man CF until we move Hays there to stay. Jay can still get a lot of AB's as a 4th OF. 
3. Move Adam to RF, sell it to him however you have to. It's time.
4. Work a trade centered around Brach and Trumbo to Colorado for Ian Desmond. They need back end of the pen help and they cannot count on Mark Reynolds again at 1B. Plus they have a surplus in the OF and supposedly signed Desmond to play 1B. Money seems to work out. Desmond plays LF and can back up some in INF. This moves Mancini to DH with some time in corner OF spots and giving CD a break at 1B once a week or so.

Obviously Adam needs to be on board with the move to RF, but I think he may be ready if it is brought to him with a plan to bring in Jay until Hays is ready. This would get us more athleticism in the OF and better defense. More athleticism in the lineup with more OBP. It would also boost the rotation significantly. By reallocating the payroll from Brach and Trumbo, we would be much improved.

Ok, tear it up.

16 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Since we have been told that they are not trading Manny or Zach in this offseason, here goes my hot stove plan to win the AL East in 2018.

1. Sign Lance Lynn and Jaime Garcia. Re-sign Tillman. Lynn will not be cheap, but he is not at the top of the market. He gets a good bit of weak contact and ground balls, and he is coming into his second year after TJ. Has been a 200 inning guy twice before TJ. Garcia is a guy that should give us 150 plus innings and also gets 
2. Sign Jon Jay and re-sign Gentry. Have them man CF until we move Hays there to stay. Jay can still get a lot of AB's as a 4th OF. 
3. Move Adam to RF, sell it to him however you have to. It's time.
4. Work a trade centered around Brach and Trumbo to Colorado for Ian Desmond. They need back end of the pen help and they cannot count on Mark Reynolds again at 1B. Plus they have a surplus in the OF and supposedly signed Desmond to play 1B. Money seems to work out. Desmond plays LF and can back up some in INF. This moves Mancini to DH with some time in corner OF spots and giving CD a break at 1B once a week or so.

Obviously Adam needs to be on board with the move to RF, but I think he may be ready if it is brought to him with a plan to bring in Jay until Hays is ready. This would get us more athleticism in the OF and better defense. More athleticism in the lineup with more OBP. It would also boost the rotation significantly. By reallocating the payroll from Brach and Trumbo, we would be much improved.

Ok, tear it up.

That Brach and Trumbo for Desmond trade is a scary one for the O's.  You'd have to be quite confident that Desmond will rebound.  Otherwise you are turning a reliever with some surplus value and a 26 million dollar blackhole into a 62 million dollar blackhole.  

I'm 100% on board for moving Jones out of CF.

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

That Brach and Trumbo for Desmond trade is a scary one for the O's.  You'd have to be quite confident that Desmond will rebound.  Otherwise you are turning a reliever with some surplus value and a 26 million dollar blackhole into a 62 million dollar blackhole.  

I'm 100% on board for moving Jones out of CF.

I would want another player or two back from them. That was why I said centered around those guys. We may have to add a prospect to make it work. Desmond and Trumbo are similar contracts, yearly anyway, but not on the overall commitment. Brach’s arbitration figure is fairly high, but not unreasonable. Holland is supposed to test the FA market, so they are looking for a closer. But I don’t really think Brach’s value is all that high at the moment. He faded some due to the increased workload. The deal seems to make sense for both teams.

Desmond does have a strange structure to the contract, where it is $22 million in 2018, and $15 million in both 2019 and 2020. So perhaps the Rox need to throw in some money to make it work.

I have some personal knowledge of Desmond and I would not bet against him being a very solid everyday player again. He’s a high character guy and brings it every day. Either way, he adds athleticism and flexibility to the OF and he can play in the INF in a back up role. We need him and Jay to bridge the next few years for the young OF’s to figure things out. And they make us more competitive for what could be Dan and Buck’s last hurrah. 

54 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I have some personal knowledge of Desmond and I would not bet against him being a very solid everyday player again. He’s a high character guy and brings it every day. Either way, he adds athleticism and flexibility to the OF and he can play in the INF in a back up role. We need him and Jay to bridge the next few years for the young OF’s to figure things out. And they make us more competitive for what could be Dan and Buck’s last hurrah. 

I believe you, the only problem is sometimes "want to" is not enough.  I get the vibe Trumbo works hard on his swing all the time, didn't help him last season.

If I had my way, I'd clean house (at least Buck and coaching staff, but probably DD as well), trade Manny, Brach, and O'Day.  Sign Chatwood (he's young, could be a factor in 2019 and beyond).  Do a quick rebuild, punt 2018, hopefully trade Britton and Trumbo at the deadline if they rebound.  Jones comes off the books at the end of the season.  Let Hays, Santander, and DJ Stewart get plenty of reps in the OF.  Let Gabriel Ynoa, Lucas Long, David Hess, Miguel Castro (if you want to try it) Mike Wright, etc fight for the #4 and #5 spots in the rotation.  The runner-up can be the long man in the bullpen.  Give Tanner Scott some reps in the bullpen.  Let Drew Dosch keep 3B warm and Steve Wilkerson take the utility role.  

So then going into 2019 you have this line-up (not counting anything you get an all the trades I mentioned).

C: SIsco, Joseph

1B: Davis

2B: Schoop

SS: Beckham

3B: Open or Dosch

LF: Stewart

CF: Mullins

RF: Hays

4th OF: Santander

5th OF: Open or Rickard

DH: Mancini

Utility IF: Open or Wilkerson

SP1: Bundy

SP2: Gausman

SP3: Chatwood

SP4: Harvey

SP5: The best of Ynoa, Long, Hess, Means, and Akin

Closer: Mychal Givens

Set-up: Tanner Scott

7th Inning: Miguel Castro

Long Man: Runner up for the #5 starter

LOOGY: Open

Middle reliever: Open or Yacabonis

Middle reliever: Open 

The opening big opening there is 3B and that's not considering any prospects/young players received in other deals.  Ryan Mountcastle will probably be ready or trade bait to fill holes.  If the Orioles do the trade I opened this thread with (Dietz + Peralta + Rickard for Prado and Straily) then Prado would play 3B and Straily would be the SP5.  That's a team that's really young and could be competitive with a few free agent additions to supplant any of the prospects who don't look like they will be MLB pieces  (they'll have the money for it since so many of the plays are cheap), they'll also have money to extend Schoop + whoever else seems like a long term piece.

31 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I believe you, the only problem is sometimes "want to" is not enough.  I get the vibe Trumbo works hard on his swing all the time, didn't help him last season.

If I had my way, I'd clean house (at least Buck and coaching staff, but probably DD as well), trade Manny, Brach, and O'Day.  Sign Chatwood (he's young, could be a factor in 2019 and beyond).  Do a quick rebuild, punt 2018, hopefully trade Britton and Trumbo at the deadline if they rebound.  Jones comes off the books at the end of the season.  Let Hays, Santander, and DJ Stewart get plenty of reps in the OF.  Let Gabriel Ynoa, Lucas Long, David Hess, Miguel Castro (if you want to try it) Mike Wright, etc fight for the #4 and #5 spots in the rotation.  The runner-up can be the long man in the bullpen.  Give Tanner Scott some reps in the bullpen.  Let Drew Dosch keep 3B warm and Steve Wilkerson take the utility role.  

So then going into 2019 you have this line-up (not counting anything you get an all the trades I mentioned).

The opening big opening there is 3B and that's not considering any prospects/young players received in other deals.  Ryan Mountcastle will probably be ready or trade bait to fill holes.  If the Orioles do the trade I opened this thread with (Dietz + Peralta + Rickard for Prado and Straily) then Prado would play 3B and Straily would be the SP5.  That's a team that's really young and could be competitive with a few free agent additions to supplant any of the prospects who don't look like they will be MLB pieces  (they'll have the money for it since so many of the plays are cheap), they'll also have money to extend Schoop + whoever else seems like a long term piece.

I kind of like the way you think. 

6 minutes ago, weams said:

The Orioles are obligated to three players in 2019. 46 million. They could fill out a roster for 13 more. 

The only problem is it's very possible those three players could provide 0 positive value in 2019.

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

First, a well thought out plan. I agree with some of what you say. Better to go strong in one direction or the other. I would embrace what you propose here. But the organization will not go that route, apparently. That team would finish last in the AL East, but it would be cheap.

Second, I found the whole “because I want to” rather a smug and childish response and beneath you. I realize his numbers were down this year. He had a couple of injuries and he tried to play through them. He’s 32, and I know the contract is heavy. It’s a gamble, but he’s been durable in his career. He’s only had one other year with less that 154 games played, and that was 130. He played in 95 this year. You take on salary for production, especially when so much of the core of our team are free agents after 2018, and you want to make a run this year.

We can maybe get him, in part, because he struggled. Desmond and Jay change our team defense dramatically. Jay provides a LH bat to a team greatly in need of more balance, along with OBP and contact skills. 

And the whole salary beyond 2018, do you not want to re-sign the unofficial captain of this team, Adam Jones? Ok, so beyond Schoop, Mancini and maybe Davis, who bats his in the top and middle of the lineup? Desmond will be cheaper that Jones and may just put up better numbers. You want to bank on Hays, whom I really like a lot, Sisco, Stewart (who has had one solid season in AA), Santander, and Mullins? Talk about scary. None of those guys have done it yet. That is a big gamble, but it’s cheap.

Chatwood is a pretty good sized gamble as well. And Prado, you want that contract for a washed up utility guy? 

You asked for a trade proposal. I brought you one. Peace. 

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Second, I found the whole “because I want to” rather a smug and childish response and beneath you. I realize his numbers were down this year. He had a couple of injuries and he tried to play through them.

I’m sorry you took it that way, it wasn’t meant to be a slight against you or Ian Desmond.  I wrote it with no intentional malice.  

I just think most MLB players work hard and generally (with the exception of a few supremely talented individuals) you don’t make it to the majors without having a strong work ethic.  I hope Ian Desmond does bounce back whether he stays in Colorado or is traded elsewhere. Desmond playing through injuries would be a reason for poor performance in 2017 and it would be reasonable to expect some improvement.  My concern with Desmond is he’s at an age where decline often happens swiftly and his skill set (at least with the bat) isn’t the type that typically ages we’ll.  I love JJ Hardy as a ball player but when he lost his power, his offensive game declined quickly and like Hardy, Desmond doesn’t walk much and relies on power for offensive value.  

What about Trumbo to the Red Sox? 

They need a 1B with Moreland leaving and are missing a big bat in their lineup. I have to imagine that Trumbo would hit a ton of homers with his power and the monster.  I'd see if they'd give up Brock Holt given that he's coming off of injury and I'm not sure he really has a spot on their roster. That rids the Orioles of Trumbo's contract and gives them a super utility guy they could play alot to keep guys rested. If not I'd take middle reliever or something. 

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

What about Trumbo to the Red Sox? 

They need a 1B with Moreland leaving and are missing a big bat in their lineup. I have to imagine that Trumbo would hit a ton of homers with his power and the monster.  I'd see if they'd give up Brock Holt given that he's coming off of injury and I'm not sure he really has a spot on their roster. That rids the Orioles of Trumbo's contract and gives them a super utility guy they could play alot to keep guys rested. If not I'd take middle reliever or something. 

I like the thought but considering we plan on competing this coming season, it might not be the best idea to trade a (arguably) useful player to a team that is already better than us. 

I'd personally do Trumbo for Holt in a heartbeat, though. 

Archived