6 ways the O's are likely to pursue the 4 starting pitchers they need

mdbdotcom

6 hours ago, joelala said:

Deppressing and true I'm afraid.  I think the most attractive options for me would be 2 and 3.  Though I think 5 and 6 will ultimately be what we do.  Definitely 5 and 6.

How much would we have to throw at Darvish, hypothetically?  That's the kind of move I think we'd have to make to be a legit contender next season.  5/160? Or am I way too low?

Don't won't Darvish. I think he is the kind of pitcher that a good can use. Not one that is near the bottom of the league. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Bordick on acquiring starters this off season:

I just watched the the re-play of Wall to Wall Baseball.   Mike Bordick was on.  Here is his take on acquiring starters;

He thinks trades are the way to go.   Asked about free agents he said he didn't think pitchers will want to come to Camden Yards to pitch when have a choice.   He said many pitchers consider Camden Yard a band box.  

Asked about Cashner, Cobb and Vargas, he didn't think they would come or be a good fit.  He said he would look for sinker ball pitchers.  He said Fister has a nice sinker.

Bordick said trades are a better way to go.  Some of the teams are going to have expensive starters that they want to get off their payroll.  That is a better fit for the O's.

(This post iparaphrases Bordicks comments.)

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I just watched the the re-play of Wall to Wall Baseball.   Mike Bordick was on.  Here is his take on acquiring starters;

He thinks trades are the way to go.   Asked about free agents he said he didn't think pitchers will want to come to Camden Yards to pitch when have a choice.   He said many pitchers consider Camden Yard a band box.  

Asked about Cashner, Cobb and Vargas, he didn't think they would come or be a good fit.  He said he would look for sinker ball pitchers.  He said Fister has a nice sinker.

Bordick said trades are a better way to go.  Some of the teams are going to have expensive starters that they want to get off their payroll.  That is a better fit for the O's.

Gosh I sure hope they trade the young position talent they have been developing for some non-elite pitchers to help with next season.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You know who gets just as many ground balls as Doug Fister?

Wade Miley

2 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Looks like they might be going this route. Tillman more likely apparently...Great

MMMMMMM

Executive vice president Dan Duquette mentioned the need for a left-handed starter as he met with the media on the last day of the season, a pretty clear indication that the Orioles weren’t picking up Wade Miley’s $12 million option. There doesn’t seem to be any chance that the sides negotiate a lesser deal, though it was broached early in the offseason, according to a source.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/10/whats-left-for-the-orioles-among-starter-candidates.html

Roch: "The Orioles just aren't going to spend on pitching". 

The Orioles and Angelos care about one thing, doing just enough to give fans hope, to keep that cash register ringing. World Series? LOL. That isn't part of the "plan". Never has been, never was. Which is why I haven't and won't spend a penny supporting this old man who cares more about his sons inheritance than putting a contender on the field. 

It is always about the bottom line, always has been, and always will be. Winning is secondary. 

16 minutes ago, paulcoates said:

Orioles have reached out to potential free agents Chris Tillman, Wade Miley about possible returns

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-blog-20171030-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Roch pointed out in his blog, that DD was pretty much dead set on not bringing back Milety.

23 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Roch: "The Orioles just aren't going to spend on pitching". 

The Orioles and Angelos care about one thing, doing just enough to give fans hope, to keep that cash register ringing. World Series? LOL. That isn't part of the "plan". Never has been, never was. Which is why I haven't and won't spend a penny supporting this old man who cares more about his sons inheritance than putting a contender on the field. 

It is always about the bottom line, always has been, and always will be. Winning is secondary. 

Is David Price worth 31 million a year to pitch every 5 games?

All MLB players are over paid, even the guys at the bottom of the scale.

But, the price tag for SP has gone through the roof.

Sounds like they'd like to decline the option on Miley and then get him back for cheap.  I don't care how cheap he comes, I wouldn't have him in my rotation for the ML minimum.  He's just not very good, at least not here in the AL East.  And Tillman at this point, I wouldn't bring back either.  Not unless his shoulder is deemed healthy via the notorious O's Physical Exam.  At this point I just think he's damaged goods.  Don't throw good money after bad, go out and get some decent pitchers.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I really think their best bet is to address at least part of their pitching needs through trades. They have some bullpen depth and I'd even be fine with them moving a Mancini / Cisco type as long as they get a young pitcher in return. 

I'd be fine with them moving a Machado-type for a couple of good young pitchers in return.  

Archived