Orioles Halt National's Exhibition Games At Naval Academy

Can_of_corn

To those who think that John Angelos is making or is significantly involved in decisions for this team:  Who do you think was the source of this incredibly foolish call?  :confused:

I don't have any question that every major Orioles decision -- letting Machado play out his contract, not extending Schoop, not paying for front-line pitching, signing Davis and Trumbo to excessive contracts, passing on international talent development and drafting,  not selling at the 2017 trade deadline -- comes from a stubborn, bitter old fool who wants only two things, an immediate winner and payback for the slights visited on him by MLB (especially the Nats and the Commissioner), and who cares not a whit how things look to the rest of the world.  He's a lot smarter than the rest of us, and if we're not savvy enough to understand the wisdom of what he's doing, that's too bad.

Happy Halloween.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

To those who think that John Angelos is making or is significantly involved in decisions for this team:  Who do you think was the source of this incredibly foolish call?  :confused:

I don't have any question that every major Orioles decision -- letting Machado play out his contract, not extending Schoop, not paying for front-line pitching, signing Davis and Trumbo to excessive contracts, passing on international talent development and drafting,  not selling at the 2017 trade deadline -- comes from a stubborn, bitter old fool who wants only two things, an immediate winner and payback for the slights visited on him by MLB (especially the Nats and the Commissioner), and who cares not a whit how things look to the rest of the world.  He's a lot smarter than the rest of us, and if we're not savvy enough to understand the wisdom of what he's doing, that's too bad.

Happy Halloween.

That man has made the Oriole's a laughingstock. 

42 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Happy Halloween.

That's scarier then any ghost story you will hear this Halloween.

You can't put a positive spin on this.   It's just ugly and spiteful.   The game isn't even open to the general public for the most part so you can't even claim that they are infringing on our territory by playing the game there... the midshipmen are from all over the country.   It's not some sneaky attempt to woo Anne Arundel county fans away from the O's.

Just ugly.

One more of the frequent reminders that sports is a business.  The owners don’t care a bit about fans, communities or anything like that if they can’t profit off it, and stop someone else from profiting too. And then people want to turn around and judge fans for how they seemingly support  teams.  Gimme a break.

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

One more of the frequent reminders that sports is a business.  The owners don’t care a bit about fans, communities or anything like that if they can’t profit off it, and stop someone else from profiting too. And then people want to turn around and judge fans for how they seemingly support  teams.  Gimme a break.

That is for sure. Sad that the owners of sports teams actually got money from DOD for patriotic displays. I guess the NFL and others can't afford to actually pay to honor the veterans and troops.

On-field events recognizing military service members — including ceremonial first pitches, honor guards and Jumbotron tributes — have become common at professional sports venues over the past several years.

Many in the stands assume the team or league puts on the tributes, but often it has been the Department of Defense, meaning tax dollars were used to foot the bill.

A report released Wednesday criticized the Department of Defense for spending millions in sports marketing contracts and called to task the professional sports teams that took the money, saying they were engaged in “paid patriotism.”

Prepared by U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake, both Arizona Republicans, the report found that all military branches reported spending $53 million on marketing and advertising contracts with professional sports organizations between 2012 and 2015. More than $10 million of that went to the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and Major League Soccer.

“Given the immense sacrifices made by our service members, it seems more appropriate that any organization with a genuine interest in honoring them, and deriving public credit as a result, should do so at its own expense and not at that of the American taxpayer,” the report said. “Americans deserve the ability to assume that tributes for our men and women in military uniform are genuine displays of national pride, which many are, rather than taxpayer-funded DOD marketing gimmicks.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nation/2015/11/06/Department-of-Defense-paid-53-million-to-pro-sports-for-military-tributes-report-says/stories/201511060140

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

You can't put a positive spin on this.   It's just ugly and spiteful.   The game isn't even open to the general public for the most part so you can't even claim that they are infringing on our territory by playing the game there... the midshipmen are from all over the country.   It's not some sneaky attempt to woo Anne Arundel county fans away from the O's.

Just ugly.

No, you can't.  And the thing is, this decision was made months ago and the information was just released this wek.  I knew about it a month before the Caps/Leafs game was announced, along with knowing about that game as well.  

This game was not open to the public at all.  The stadium barely holds over 1,000 people, and over half were midshipmen.  The rest were others from the Navy, key people in the partnership and possibly a few others.  So it was a private event, just like the Fort Bragg game.  The only other people were ball-hawks on King George St outside of the stadium grounds trying to catch foul balls.  

It was also a non-profit affair.  MLB and the Nats put money into upgrades for the Naval Academy baseball facilities, which thankfully will still continue over the next two years.  My employer is a subcontractor with the Naval Academy in a variety of ways, and we fed the pre-game meal to each team, and we donated it because of all of the work done to improve the stadium and our own relationship with the Naval Academy.  

Ultimately, it's a shame that the Orioles contested this, because it has much more to do with the Nationals and the partnership with the Navy (you know, since Nats Park and the Navy Yard are neighbors and all) and not much to do with infringing on the broadcasting or advertising rights of the Orioles.  Especially since the game was played on private, federal government property.  It's also a shame that they aren't continuing the event on their own.  

What Peter Angelos wants more than anything else at this point in his life is a legacy as Baltimore’s favorite son.  The MASN dispute has laid bare how he’s stuffed dollars in his pockets while crying “poor” to the fans and his MLB partners.  I don’t know who is cheaper, Angelos or Ted Lerner, the latter of which complained about the cost of sunflower seeds the team was putting in the dugout.  I’m not kidding, that actually happened.

But Lerner purchased the team at such an advanced age, the succession plans were in place before the ink on the contracts were dry.  His sons will be taking over.  I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad.  However the good news for Oriole fans is that there is no chance the Angelos boys will inherit the team.  Even if they could afford to pay the taxes (they probably can’t) I doubt ownership will allow it.  And believe you me, Manfred wants revenge on Angelos for bucking his authority and laying the books open for all too see.  Once this MASN business is put to bed, he’s going to take Peter out behind the woodshed and leave some stripes on his ass.

8 hours ago, Beetlejuice said:

What Peter Angelos wants more than anything else at this point in his life is a legacy as Baltimore’s favorite son.  The MASN dispute has laid bare how he’s stuffed dollars in his pockets while crying “poor” to the fans and his MLB partners.  I don’t know who is cheaper, Angelos or Ted Lerner, the latter of which complained about the cost of sunflower seeds the team was putting in the dugout.  I’m not kidding, that actually happened.

But Lerner purchased the team at such an advanced age, the succession plans were in place before the ink on the contracts were dry.  His sons will be taking over.  I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad.  However the good news for Oriole fans is that there is no chance the Angelos boys will inherit the team.  Even if they could afford to pay the taxes (they probably can’t) I doubt ownership will allow it.  And believe you me, Manfred wants revenge on Angelos for bucking his authority and laying the books open for all too see.  Once this MASN business is put to bed, he’s going to take Peter out behind the woodshed and leave some stripes on his ass.

Kevin Plank and Ripken will probably buy the O's. I don't see the Angelos boys taking over unless there really isn't a god afterall. He's been the old, slimy version of Dan Snyder. Nestor from WNST wrote a book on him, and while I think Nestor is a jackass and I have my issues with him, the book is great. I'll post a link to chapter 1. http://wnst.net/free-the-birds/the-peter-principles-chapter-1-so-just-how-did-angelos-become-king-of-baltimore-baseball/

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Kevin Plank and Ripken will probably buy the O's. I don't see the Angelos boys taking over unless there really isn't a god afterall. He's been the old, slimy version of Dan Snyder. Nestor from WNST wrote a book on him, and while I think Nestor is a jackass and I have my issues with him, the book is great. I'll post a link to chapter 1. http://wnst.net/free-the-birds/the-peter-principles-chapter-1-so-just-how-did-angelos-become-king-of-baltimore-baseball/

Probably?

Where do you get probably?

Archived